scanner twain problem

Ish

Reaction score
i'm having a major problem with this and have tried everything i can to sort it.

when i try and scan something i get the following error "COULD NOT OPEN THE TWAIN SOURCE. MAKE SURE THERE IS A VALID SOURCE FOR YOUR SCANNER IN THE TWAIN DIRECTORY FOUND IN THE WINDOWS DIRECTORY"

this happends even if i try my usb canon scanner or an old parallel port one. the scanner shows as working fine in properties.

i have done all of the following and nothing has sorted it:-

.updated scanner drivers and removed old ones.tried all the updated drivers from canon website.

.installed windows 2000 instead of win xp sp2 i was using

.reset bios to default settings

.tried different usb ports

.tried another usb cable

.tried different scanning software

i can't understand why both scanners will not work on win xp sp2 or win 2000
icon_confused.gif

this is the most annoying pc problem i have EVER had
mad.gif

kel

Reaction score
Well this wont helpyou too much apart from let you know YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I have just recently come across this problem myself. I have had a HP SCANJET 6200C for a while now, mostly it sat on a shelf collecting dust, till I had a need for it and plugged it in to my girlfriends COMPAQ XP SP1 (at the time) laptop and was amased that it instantly recognised/detected the scanner. I then later connected it to a desktop that has XP SP2 installed and had the same result...no problems. Scanned away happily....Till only recently, I was amazed when I suddenly discovered that the TWAIN SOURCE had dissappeared from the desktop. IT NO LONGER RECOGNISES THE SCANNER!!?? This desktop is not connected to the internet or any network, and has not been updated in a while, although it does run XP SP2, which is an update, that was quite a while ago. So I am confused too. In an attempt to debug the situation, I then connected the scanner to the aforementioned laptop , this was post an XP SP2 UPDATE! Lo and behold, it no longer recognised the scanner either!
this is the most annoying pc problem i have EVER had
mad.gif
YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN! Along with about every other HP SCANNER user that I came across that night in a furious attempt to find out more on the net. I bundled into a HP site forum and found about 200 cases of the same incident with no major response from HP!!
I also came across some nickname for the update HP provides on their site: "DEATH DRIVER"!! The rumour (I dont know how true it is!) is that the drivers that they provide as an update on their site actually kill the USB port on the scanner!!
SCARED? Today, in a mad attempt to scan an image I needed to alter for a company, I got a friend to bring their laptop around, as I knew it hadn't been updated recently.Guess what? IT WORKED FINE! FOR ABOUT 2 SCANS (luckily I saved them knowing how unreliable this system now is) and then the laptop suddenly stopped recognising the TWAIN source again!! This is really scary, and all sorts of conspiracy stuff comes to mind. Any answers anyone out there?? I KNOW THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS SCANNER!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
plug it in while your PC is on and try to import 'pic from scanner or source', tis the only way i can get my HP5100C to work

Reaction score
I see that no one has responded to this since 2005. But Here's my problem. It is very similar to the ones above. The same TAIN message comes up with my scanner too. I had a Benq scanner and hadn't used it for about a month, all of a sudden it wouldn't scan because of this TWAIN error. So I tried uninstalling it - didn't work, Installed it into a different offoice computer - worked once and then not at all. I don't get why it would quit all of a sudden. So, then I connected a HP scanner temporarily and it worked okay but I recently bought a new Canon scanner and the same TWAIN message is appearing on screen. I don't know tons about PCs. I am a Mac user at home and a PC user at work. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do to correct this problem? System restore or Reformatting will be my last resort.

Lynminx

Reaction score
I couldn't figure the problem out, so I got my brother to re-format my computer. Re-installing before re-formatting did not help. I wasn't sure what else to do. But now my scanner works great! The files were corrupted somewhere along the line I guess. Someday I may find out why...

Lynminx

Reaction score
Lynminx, Sorry but your answering a thread that is nearly 2 years old.
If you want help for a problem start a new thread!!

Ask a Question