Scanjet 3200C Parallel Port not working with XP

G

Maybe it should be called XXXp.

I have an AMD Athlon 2600+ processor running Windows XP professional on a new machine, OEM installed operating system.

My HP Scanjet 3200C, which has a parallel port connection and had run on my previous Windows 95 system, will not install to this XP system. Once it worked for one tantalizing scan, and then it stopped again and hasn't responded since.

HP website recommended driver download sj648en.exe. It didn't work for me. Error message: Open Fail: PPPSCAN.VXD.

Several e-mails to HP support produced pages of advice. Very polite. None of it worked. Support told me I would need to use the phone support for a fee. I suspect it would be a waste of money.

Scanner model does not appear on Windows XP catalog of compatible models. Not a good sign.

After reading several sets of postings on scanner woes, I am coming to the conclusion that neither HP nor Bill Gates cares about my scanner and I have to buy a new one. (Would Linux have done this to me?????)

I also have a Brother MFC-1770 fax/scanner, old fashioned serial port (10101). Found no software on the Brother site for this model, so I didn't have the heart to try installing it. I've wasted too much time on this already.

If anybody has a fix, I'd love to hear it.

Or perhaps someone can explain: My HP Laserjet 4 printer works fine in XP and it is quite old. Why are scanners such a problem?

Thanks

G

Gene,

It worked once, it could work again; you only need to determine what has changed to cause it to quit working (try permissions and/or software updates).
-OR-
You could breakdown and buy a new USB scanner, they are DIRT CHEAP right now. In an after Xmas sale, I found a 3-in-1 for $37.50. Brand new, color, plug and play, COPY/SCAN/PRINT (will even FAX with software already on my PC)! I now have a "full function" office at home for the price of two meals at IHOP.

Please remember that we live in a "throw-away" society. As such, previous materials could have been created to last longer than they are supported. Your choices are to update and stay current or to maintain the older equipment to continue it's compatability and usefullness... In the last 8 years I've been through 3 scanners, 3 printers, 5 tape drives, 10+ hard drives, 6 operating systems, 4 computers, etc...

If I weren't making money doing this, I'd have quit computers when Apple cancled the model II's... I'm still pissed about that one Steve!

Wish you luck!

----- Gene T wrote: -----

Maybe it should be called XXXp.

I have an AMD Athlon 2600+ processor running Windows XP professional on a new machine, OEM installed operating system.

My HP Scanjet 3200C, which has a parallel port connection and had run on my previous Windows 95 system, will not install to this XP system. Once it worked for one tantalizing scan, and then it stopped again and hasn't responded since.

HP website recommended driver download sj648en.exe. It didn't work for me. Error message: Open Fail: PPPSCAN.VXD.

Several e-mails to HP support produced pages of advice. Very polite. None of it worked. Support told me I would need to use the phone support for a fee. I suspect it would be a waste of money.

Scanner model does not appear on Windows XP catalog of compatible models. Not a good sign.

After reading several sets of postings on scanner woes, I am coming to the conclusion that neither HP nor Bill Gates cares about my scanner and I have to buy a new one. (Would Linux have done this to me?????)

I also have a Brother MFC-1770 fax/scanner, old fashioned serial port (10101). Found no software on the Brother site for this model, so I didn't have the heart to try installing it. I've wasted too much time on this already.

If anybody has a fix, I'd love to hear it.

Or perhaps someone can explain: My HP Laserjet 4 printer works fine in XP and it is quite old. Why are scanners such a problem?

Thanks

S

Si Ballenger

I've got an old Microtek Scanmaker scanner that is either SCSI or
parallel port. I get it to work on the parallel port in XP pro
by installing the drivers via the Microtek install instead of the
XP driver install routine. XP is pretty stupid in this area.
IrfanView sees the scanner as a twain device and scans just fine.
For other reasons I've installed a program called userport that
allows me direct control of the parallel port. I'm not sure if
this is helping the situation or not. Be advised that the
scanner has to be connected and turned on when the computer boots
for the scanner to be recognized on the parallel port.

G

Gene T

Folks,

Thanks for your advice. I broke down and bought a new
scanner. They are pretty cheap. Hopefully I'll use the
old one in my office where I still have Windows 98.

Gene T
-----Original Message-----
I've got an old Microtek Scanmaker scanner that is either SCSI or
parallel port. I get it to work on the parallel port in XP pro
by installing the drivers via the Microtek install instead of the
XP driver install routine. XP is pretty stupid in this area.
IrfanView sees the scanner as a twain device and scans just fine.
For other reasons I've installed a program called userport that
allows me direct control of the parallel port. I'm not sure if
this is helping the situation or not. Be advised that the
scanner has to be connected and turned on when the computer boots
for the scanner to be recognized on the parallel port.
determine what has changed to cause it to quit working
(try permissions and/or software updates).DIRT CHEAP right now. In an after Xmas sale, I found a 3-
in-1 for $37.50. Brand new, color, plug and play,
COPY/SCAN/PRINT (will even FAX with software already on my
PC)! I now have a "full function" office at home for the
price of two meals at IHOP.As such, previous materials could have been created to
last longer than they are supported. Your choices are to
update and stay current or to maintain the older equipment
to continue it's compatability and usefullness... In the
last 8 years I've been through 3 scanners, 3 printers, 5
tape drives, 10+ hard drives, 6 operating systems, 4
computers, etc...computers when Apple cancled the model II's... I'm still
pissed about that one Steve!Windows XP professional on a new machine, OEM installed
operating system.connection and had run on my previous Windows 95 system,
will not install to this XP system. Once it worked for
one tantalizing scan, and then it stopped again and hasn't
responded since.sj648en.exe. It didn't work for me. Error message: Open
Fail: PPPSCAN.VXD.advice. Very polite. None of it worked. Support told me
I would need to use the phone support for a fee. I
suspect it would be a waste of money.woes, I am coming to the conclusion that neither HP nor
Bill Gates cares about my scanner and I have to buy a new
one. (Would Linux have done this to me?????)fashioned serial port (10101). Found no software on the
Brother site for this model, so I didn't have the heart to
try installing it. I've wasted too much time on this
already.printer works fine in XP and it is quite old. Why are
scanners such a problem?

Ask a Question