Say Goodbye to Reboots with Ksplice

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thought this may interest Urmas as he is a Ubuntu user.

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7403/1.html

"Linux is famous for uptime, but even it has to reboot when a new kernel vulnerability is fixed. Or does it? Now there’s Ksplice, technology that applies patches directly into the running kernel. And thanks to their free Uptrack service it’s free for users of Ubuntu! "

:)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Interesting concept. But - no servers here - I think I'll survive the odd reboot every now and then. Especially since:
The implementation so far appears to work very well, but only for the current kernel version that’s running. While it is possible to have a completely rebootless update system because Ksplice will always individually patch what Ubuntu releases as a whole new kernel update, the current updating system in Ubuntu makes it appear as though updates are required.

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"Nevertheless this technology is nothing to be sneezed at. What it does, it does very well indeed and the team are to be congratulated on such an amazing project and implementation. It’s truly first class!"

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Did you catch the info I posted about Security Fixes in th erelevant forum section.
user.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Yes, mother.
laughingsmiley.gif

(Did the update when it appeared in Update Manager, i.e. the day before yesterday.)

Ask a Question