10 Kernel Vulnerabilities in Ubuntu 6.06, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"Canonical announced a few hours ago the immediate availability of a new Linux kernel security update for the following Ubuntu distributions: 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake), 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron), 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) and 9.10 (Karmic Koala). The update also applies to Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu and it patches 10 important security issues (see below for details) discovered in the Linux kernel packages by various hackers. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to update your system as soon as possible!"

http://news.softpedia.com/news/10-K...ntu-6-06-8-04-8-10-9-04-and-9-10-134162.shtml

user.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Just do your updates... that's enough.

Kernel security updates are seldom "distro specific", btw... the holes need to be patched - are patched - in all distributions using a given kernel branch/"generation".

Let's take one example: one of the holes that were patched now was discovered in Finland:

The vulnerable code is present in Linux kernel tree since Oct 8 2008. Linux distributions running kernels based on upstream kernel after Oct 8 2008 or kernels based on 2.6.31 or later may also be also affected.

http://www.cert.fi/en/reports/2010/vulnerability341748.html

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, Mint 8 is based on Ubuntu 9.10 - but I've done all me updates.

Blimey, Abarb, you trying to prove neutrality here, posting about a Linux weakness?

Unlike your usual kick to Microsoft's gonads? :lol:

;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Oooooooooooooooooo er I say as if I would, I's just a well balanced and adjusted individual.
nod.gif

No fan boy fawning here if it is faulty or crap I'll post that too. :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Traffic lights is a nice touch.
nod.gif

The community puts an awful lot of work into maintaining and improving the kernel and os's. Just reading that list wore me out:)

Your Finnish advisory states,

"The vulnerability can additionally be mitigated by disabling IPv6 support or by filtering IPv6 traffic."

I seem to recall that disabling IPv6 helps to speed up your system a tad and helps it to run a little smoother. Hmm I think it may have been one of those Fire Fox tweaks now that I come to think of it.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question