Same brand build

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen any tests to see if systems using components from the same manufacturer work better together?

Looking into a new build at the moment I am thinking of an Asus mobo. I always like Asus stuff, and often assume that they test their cards on their own motherboards...so even though I see reviews that might give the edge to another brand, i'll often opt for components produced by the same company.

Should an Asus vid etc work better on an Asus mobo?

Waddya think?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not seen any reports or testing done like this, but it would be interesting to know. If I were to guess, I'd say it wouldn't make any difference as everything is done to standards and must be compatible with each other using known interfaces (PCI-E, AGP, etc...). After all, motherboards and graphics cards (the primary example) are just interfacing components from other manufacturers anyway (GPUs, chipsets, etc...).

However, some brands may use better quality components (namely memory and capacitors), which may indirectly mean that some brands work better together. :)

I don't have any evidence to backup my thoughts, but that is what I think ;). If you do spot any tests then please do post the links back in here :thumb:.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm with Ian on this one components all have to work together or manufacturers would shoot themselves in the foot.

There are those who say Nvidia/Intel and AMD/ATI (formerly) work well together but I personally think this is not so, just rumours spread by fanboys on both sides of the percieved camp.

All I'll say is my purchases have never been influenced by brands for compatibility.

On my last build I was determined to get a Gigabyte motherboard but after a long, long, long time studying specs came to the undeniable conclusion that, at my time of purchase, Asus offered a whole lot more for the money than Gigabyte. No bias, just the facts.

Do love using a mouse in the BIOS.

Reaction score
yup...i've considered this...everything is based on reference boards and components; but if I were testing my own audio card, for example, and I also had my own mobo and vid...maybe I'd tweak them using my own kit as the test rig...so, logic suggests that maybe there's some advantage to using same brand components. I'm sure you're right tho' Ian...the benefits are probably marginal.:cheers:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It would make a great deal of a difference if, AMD, or that other company, produced ALL the hardware needed ... early example: Apple

For one thing they could do away with the BIOS and finally lay to rest its boot limitations of 16bit 1mb and other idiosyncratic crud.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Asus do their ROG series which may give you some information that is helpful.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_rog_crosshair_iv_formula/4

:)

That review is 18 months old now and things change very quickly.

The BIOS pictured in that link is distinctly old hat now, with my new Asus board BIOS I can browse it using the mouse.

As I mentioned earlier, Asus boards atm offer more for your money than Gigabyte do.

And as far as I'm concerned there aren't that many choices for motherboards, I'd only consider Asus, Gigabyte and EVGA.

Ask a Question