Safe removal of RIS image

Johan Arwidmark

Well, one a client is deployed from the ris server the client isnt
"connected" eg. doesnt use any RIS features...you dont need to
decomission the client before deleting the image

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net
..

Hello,

Am I correct in thinking that the only safe time to remove a RIS image
(riprep) is when all clients serviced from that imaged have been
decomissioned or can we replace it with an updated image with hotfixes etc

Thx

Feng Mao

HI,

RIS image is only used during the installation on the clients. If all
clients are installed, you can remove the image or update the image.

Have a goo day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Safe removal of RIS image
| Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:13:10 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Hello,
|
| Am I correct in thinking that the only safe time to remove a RIS image
| (riprep) is when all clients serviced from that imaged have been
| decomissioned or can we replace it with an updated image with hotfixes
etc

| Thx

I was led to believe, perhaps by my own misinterpretation, that a RIS
installation would go looking for the RIS Image when a file was needed just
like an "ordinary" install goes looking for it's i386 folder. Is this the
case for RIS images (riprep) and in the light that I can safely delet an
image might it be a good idea to put the i386 folder on the image as well
and have the image point to that ...

thx for your input

Feng Mao

Hi,

Yes, so, you can safely remove the RIS images after the deployment.
However, it will be good to put the I386 folder to a sharepoint of file
server.

Feel free to post any questions to the newsgroup in the future!

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Safe removal of RIS image
| Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:04:37 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| I was led to believe, perhaps by my own misinterpretation, that a RIS
| installation would go looking for the RIS Image when a file was needed
just
| like an "ordinary" install goes looking for it's i386 folder. Is this
the
| case for RIS images (riprep) and in the light that I can safely delet an
| image might it be a good idea to put the i386 folder on the image as well
| and have the image point to that ...
|
| thx for your input
|
| | > HI,
| >
| > RIS image is only used during the installation on the clients. If all
| > clients are installed, you can remove the image or update the image.
| >
| > Have a goo day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.

| > | From: <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Safe removal of RIS image