Sabayon Linux CPU monitor?

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm running Sabayon KDE X64 on one PC and I have yet to encounter a utility that will display CPU temps for me in the system tray much like RealTemp does in Windows.

I'm definitely no Linux expert as I mostly just use it for a cruncher but Sabayon is derived from Gentoo if that helps any.

Any ideas?

I do have Gkrellm but I notice that it doesn't seem to pick up on most of the monitors my hardware has as the same hardware with Win7 gives me readings for HDD, GPU, CPU, CPU Core, System, Fans etc.

All I get with Gkrellm is the CPU temp (not cores)

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes lm-sensors is installed as that is what is giving me the CPU temp.

I'm using the KDE version of Sabayon Linux and it's my understanding that Conky is not really suited to that at least according to feedback I got at their forum.

I've managed to get my CPU temp to display in the tray (though not the core temp) so may just have to make do with that until something better comes along.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
You mentioned crunching, so I am assuming we're talking about a desktop here... but still: I used to have an old [crunching] desktop with a P4 Celeron... no way I could get all the temps [not that I went above and beyond in trying either]... configuring lm_sensors returned more or less a "uh, fuggedaboudit, duuuude". Then again, if you run "top" in terminal/Conky/wherever, the perfessor processor load will tell you where you are... a 99.8% constant processor load might not be the way to go.

:fool:

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
gkrellm is pretty good at showing processor load and such plus it will give you ethernet traffic and some other goodies.

I'm mostly just tinkering and prefer a constant display in the taskbar of critical temps as opposed to keeping an open window for a utility and/or using multiple utilities.

Haven't bothered to do much in the way of playing with configuration files so I may well have to learn how to do that.

Ask a Question