Running Star Trek: Generations in XP.

Reaction score
Hi there. I've recently installed Star Trek: Generations successfully. It starts up fine but after selecting to teleport to the space station in the first few minutes of the game it just shuts down without warning and without error messages. I think it's because XP doesn't recognise there needs to be a CD swap in that instant but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 3.0 Ghz (2 CPUs)
2048 mb RAM.
NVidia 9500 GT 512mb
Directx 9.0c

If you need any other info please let me know.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Hi there. I've recently installed Star Trek: Generations successfully. It starts up fine but after selecting to teleport to the space station in the first few minutes of the game it just shuts down without warning and without error messages. I think it's because XP doesn't recognise there needs to be a CD swap in that instant but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 3.0 Ghz (2 CPUs)
2048 mb RAM.
NVidia 9500 GT 512mb
Directx 9.0c

If you need any other info please let me know.

Could be that the game was developed for Windows 9x, and ME. Not for XP

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The game was published in 1997 and was probably made to run in both Win 95 & Win 98 and at that time of course Win XP did not exist.

It's unlikely you'll get it to work but you could try Win XP compatibility mode. It may also be worth creating a virtual optical drive with suitable software and mounting the ISO of CD2 in that.

See here: 2003 revisited

Reaction score
You can actually get the game to work. Run it in compatibility mode for windows 95, 640x480 resolution mode, when the mission launches to the load screen of the amargosa station click the screen frantically with your left and right mouse buttons. I know this sounds crazy but one day I was so mad about it not working I just started doing that and sure enough it worked. It has something to do with the dx 3.0 drivers. By going "click crazy" it seems to override it and it keeps the application active rather than killing it. I'm not sure if this trick might also work on win 7 or vista but it might, going to try that next. Kill Soran for me.

Daniel

Ask a Question