Running 3.1 Games on XP

Reaction score
I have some old Windows 3.1 games. Is there anyway of getting them to work on XP please? Someone told me that there was a useful batch file going the rounds.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they would run directly under WinXP, but you may be able to either run them through dos or perhaps set up a virtual PC and install Win 3.1 under it :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hard work and personally not worth the effort, but yes, it can be done ... but not for all games, some will just not work.

Windows 3.1 ran on top of MS-DOS and was a 16-bit platform. It was easier to run these old games using 95/98/ME as they retained backward compatibility to 16bit software because of their Kernel.

XP, however, has a different Kernel and doesn't have any MS-DOS components in it at all ... it's a pure 32-bit beast. It includes a 16-bit emulator and a command prompt mode that looks like MS-DOS. ;)

Try Mr Google for game fan related websites. :thumb:

:user:

Ask a Question