RunDLL32.exe message

Reaction score
Hi everyone just found this site and hope someone can please help two non-techy girls!! My sister has a reconditioned laptop. Recently she has started to get a message "rundll32.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows". She is able to open programmes such as word etc but can't access her internet connection. She uses a 3USB modem to install the internet (which instals ok) but when she presses the "internet connection" icon she cant get on to the internet at all.

I have read some previous threads about how to get rid of this problem or download software to do this but as we she cant get on to the internet she can't use this option and because her and myself are totally non-techny we need a step by step guide to fixing it.

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?? THANK YOU GREATLY.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The first thing we'll need to know is if you use Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Do you have any anti-virus software or anti-spyware software on the laptop, as it could be that you have something nasty lurking on it. If not, we'll be able to recommend some free software that can do this check :)

Reaction score
trinity.rose said:
hi, thanks for replying she uses Windows 2000 - she has no anti virus or anti spyware software.

Hi Trinity
Your problem is the 3 SUB modem..It is only compatible with Windows XP and Vista.. It will not run with any other Operating system..There unfortunately is no solution other than to upgrade your OS..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
According to the 3 USB modem spec it is compatible with Windows 2000
nod.gif

I suspect if she has not been using any AV or Malware protection it is likely to do with some kind of infection.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
According to the 3 USB modem spec it is compatible with Windows 2000
nod.gif

I suspect if she has not been using any AV or Malware protection it is likely to do with some kind of infection.

Mmmmm 3 must have upgraded/downgraded to 2000 in the last 3 days, cause according to the spec for the 3 usb modem I purchased on Saturday its only compatible with XP and Vista, and I have been using 3 for near on a year now..Anywya not here to argue..

Reaction score
She purchased the 3 usb modem back in february and made sure it was captable for use with windows 2000 when she purchased it. She has been using it since then with no difficulties and this problem only started on Saturday

Reaction score
Reaction score
trinity.rose said:
She uses a 3USB modem to install the internet (which instals ok) but when she presses the "internet connection" icon she cant get on to the internet at all.

When you say she "Presses the"Internet Connection" do you mean the 3 usb icon as displayed in the atatcchment below..??? Are you able to open the 3 dashboard..?

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    182.6 KB · Views: 214
Reaction score
when she plugs in her modem the 3 usb icon window appears and she can press install and is then connected to the internet. she then has to click on the internet explorer icon (the one that looks like a blue "e") to take her to a web page - but when she does this it is doing nothing. Hope this makes sense not very technical jargon is it? soz.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Get her to connect with her modem, then click on Start>Run and put in cmd then click OK - on the screen that opens type in ipconfig and press enter and tell us what the screen shows for the Windows IP Configuration.

Reaction score
windows 2000 ip configuration
ethernet adapter local area connection 3:
media state ...........: cable disconnected
ppp adapter 3 usb modem:
connection - specific dns fussix.:
ip address ............: *.*.*.*
subnet mask ...........: 255.255.255.255
default gateway .........: *.*.*.*
C:/

Last edited:
Reaction score
trinity.rose said:
windows 2000 ip configuration
ethernet adapter local area connection 3:
media state ...........: cable disconnected
ppp adapter 3 usb modem:
connection - specific dns fussix.:
ip address ............: 92.*.*.*
subnet mask ...........: 255.255.2555.255
default gateway .........: 92.*.*.*
C:/

OK might need editing quickly if anyone see's it quickly enough please. posting IP is risky trinity!!!!

I take it you hand typed that all in? Reason I ask is third set of Mask numbers has three 5's not two :)

Another things i'm not sure about the Subnet all being end address's. Can anyone confirm this? It might be completely different for all ISP's I guess?

Try going into your control panel

START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL

Look for 'NETWORK CONNECTIONS'

Right Click on the one that is active Usually two blue screens.

Goto 'Properties'

Click on 'Internet protocol' the press 'Properties'

Make sure its set to obtain 'ip address automatically' If it is not then change it and click ok it so it is saying that. Then ok again. If all is well you may exit. We'll have to think of something else

Im not sure how all the above is available in 2000 so maybe somone else can guide you if its different

Defo need to AV protection of some sort to be installed as soon as possible though!!!!

Last edited:

Ask a Question