RPC over HTTP Outlook Config

I am running Outlook 2003 connecting to Exchange 2003 SP2. My setup is as
follows:

MX record for email points to a spam firewall which then forwards mail to my
internal exchange server
A Record points to the mail server directly for OWA connections which works
fine (using HTTPS). I also have OWA set up so the users do not have to put in
their domain name when logging in. Just username and password.

1- In outlook, MS Exchange settings what external or internal server (OWA
or MX) do I point it to?
2 - For username do I use "username" "email address" "DOMAIN\username" to
confirm the connection. I do get prompted for a password but it just times
out and says the connection to the server is unavailable. *** I am pointing
it to my external server address that OWA runs to. If I need to configure
something on the firewall - adding services to this server - what would that
be. HTTP and HTTPS are already configured for OWA.
3 - Under MS Exchange Proxy Settings (under Connection tab) What server URL
do I use. I would assume the OWA address since this points to the mail
server.

Thanks for your Help

Roady [MVP]

Everything depends on how you've published Exchange to the outside world.
It's better that you repost this in an Exchange newsgroup.

neo [mvp outlook]

Are you using an internal certificate to secure that HTTPS connection? Just
to let you know, the operating system will try to verify that certificate
back to the CA that generated it. So if it is a self created one, you need
to get a copy of the CA (or SSL) cert added to the workstations trusted root
store.

Outside of that, answers are...

1) where you put the name of the exchange server, it will be the internal
name of your exchange server.
where you put the name of the exchange proxy server, the external A
record. (say, the same as your OWA server)

2) not quite sure which dialog you are filling out here, so i'll give some
hints to each...
a. when creating your exchange profile, exchange alias (username)
b. when prompted for credentials... domain\userid or UPN

3) covered in #1. Before I forget, you do not have to check the box for the
mutally authenticate.

F. H. Muffman

neo said:
Are you using an internal certificate to secure that HTTPS connection?
Just to let you know, the operating system will try to verify that
certificate back to the CA that generated it. So if it is a self created
one, you need to get a copy of the CA (or SSL) cert added to the
workstations trusted root store.

(trimming the rest out since it isn't what I wanted to bring up)

I thought self created certs weren't supported/working for Outlook Anywhere?

"The self-signed certificate cannot be used with Outlook Anywhere."

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

That is for Exchange 2007, the OP is using Exchange 2003.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, F. H. Muffman asked:

| || Are you using an internal certificate to secure that HTTPS
|| connection? Just to let you know, the operating system will try to
|| verify that certificate back to the CA that generated it. So if it
|| is a self created one, you need to get a copy of the CA (or SSL)
|| cert added to the workstations trusted root store.
|
| (trimming the rest out since it isn't what I wanted to bring up)
|
| I thought self created certs weren't supported/working for Outlook
| Anywhere?
|
| http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851554.aspx
| "The self-signed certificate cannot be used with Outlook Anywhere."

F. H. Muffman

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
|| Are you using an internal certificate to secure that HTTPS
|| connection? Just to let you know, the operating system will try to
|| verify that certificate back to the CA that generated it. So if it
|| is a self created one, you need to get a copy of the CA (or SSL)
|| cert added to the workstations trusted root store.
| (trimming the rest out since it isn't what I wanted to bring up)
|
| I thought self created certs weren't supported/working for Outlook
| Anywhere?
|
| http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851554.aspx
| "The self-signed certificate cannot be used with Outlook Anywhere."
That is for Exchange 2007, the OP is using Exchange 2003.

Ah, then self signed certs are irrelevant, aren't they? They didn't exist
in Exchange 2003, did they?

neo [mvp outlook]

They did and self-signed certs can be used regardless of version. Hence why
many build labs using an internal certificate authority. Outside of that
and as the link covers, self-signed certs aren't recommended. The reason
why is that the average machine you buy won't know nothing about self-signed
certs unless additional steps are taken.

F. H. Muffman said:
"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
|| Are you using an internal certificate to secure that HTTPS
|| connection? Just to let you know, the operating system will try to
|| verify that certificate back to the CA that generated it. So if it
|| is a self created one, you need to get a copy of the CA (or SSL)
|| cert added to the workstations trusted root store.
| (trimming the rest out since it isn't what I wanted to bring up)
|
| I thought self created certs weren't supported/working for Outlook
| Anywhere?
|
| http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851554.aspx
| "The self-signed certificate cannot be used with Outlook Anywhere."
That is for Exchange 2007, the OP is using Exchange 2003.

Ah, then self signed certs are irrelevant, aren't they? They didn't exist
in Exchange 2003, did they?

Emily Lin

Hi SJMP,

This issue should be posted into the Exchange newsgroup (microsoft.public.exchange.admin). I notice that you have posted the same
question in the Exchange newsgroup. Please check the answer there. Also, please don't cross-post the same question in multiple
newsgroups in the future so that our engineers can work on your question efficiently. Your understanding and cooperation is
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support