Rmpc

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello All,
My brother-in-law has bought an RM PC from a neighbour. I think the OS and system have been repatriated from their owners but need expert advice to convince him.
The PC is an RM 1700/256. THe RM logo on the front has been scratched over and the model number label pulled off. OK kids pick at labels and all the info is on the backplate anyway.
He asked me to look at it as there was no beep after POST and the on-board sound did not work but everything else appears OK.
Looked inside and the 'beep' speaker lead was not connected but there was no speaker connection on the motherboard to connect it to. The CD-ROM sound lead was connected.
OK the punchline - RM PC, P4, 1.4GHz, XP PRO, 40GB HD, 256 Mb RAM - 75GBP.
PS He hasn't paid for it yet!
Thanks in advance,
peahouse05:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm ... you can find better, but will depend on how far you're willing to go with the £££s

RMs are usually found in schools and such ... pretty basic as Pc go. It may already be a 3-4th hand hand-me-down.

Apart from adding more ram, it will help with XP, I would not put any other money towards it.

May make a good little Linux learner box though.
laughingsmiley.gif

user.gif

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks,
My last school was full of RMs - that's what made me suspect it's knock-off.
BTW still using my old AMDk6 as Linux learner - on Slackware now but network card drivers 'driving' me mad - they seem to be there and the connections eth0 and eth1 are 'alive' but cannot get an IP address by DHCP from my router.
Cheers,
peahouse05:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My last school was full of RMs - that's what made me suspect it's knock-off.
ah, right ... I see. You were not too worried about getting a collar off Bill G for possibly ripping off Windows but from the Old Bill for a knocked off PC. :D

Come to think on it, I'm not sure if RM "sell off" the old stuff as I thought they are usually in schools under a lease ... hmmm

Well, it's still a 'crap' PC ... the MJW PC (754) cost £130 new, MB (all-on-board), RAM & CPU ... + a free case & CDrom drive.

I personally would not buy the thing. ;)

As for your Linux 'problem', best to post at Scot's for that. :thumb:

user.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
As muck's has said RM's are mostly found in schools and colleges so it probably is a knock-off, most schools have policys to get rid of there old machines to recyclers to send abroad to 3rd world countrys for educational needs...

I wouldn't touch it personally....;)

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I'm equally concerned about the software - no sympathy for BG, but it will be Brother-in-law's only PC and it may as well be right. Will advise him to return it to his neighbour, who, it turns out, is well-known local 'character'.
Cheers,
peahouse05:thumb:

Reaction score
This may help

If your after a cheap 2nd hand laptop have a look at micromart at all good newsagents weekly.
Plenty of ads in their for 2nd user laptops or try www.sterlingxs.co.uk who are one of many who offer 2nd user goodies:thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
RM networks, brings back memories of having to tell the network manager how you gave yourself unlimited storage and admin rights
laughingsmiley.gif

crazylegs is spot on with what happens to them, i wouldn't touch it either and as mucks said you could build a decent system for not much more than what he's asking

Ask a Question