RIS Problems

G

Hello

I am attempting to deploy 50 new laptop computers using RIS. All of these laptops came with OEM versions of Windows XP & Office 2003 SBE. After customizing one of the computers to my liking, I ran RISPREP.EXE and posted an image to our RIS server. I then installed that image to a second laptop. As expected, I was prompted for an individual OEM XP KEY since these are OEM versions and my company doesn’t feel it necessary to enroll these computers under a common Select Agreement KEY. The problem occurs upon first login when the user is prompted to Activate the copy of XP. After asking a few prompts, the computer attempts to ‘connect to the internet’ to activate that copy. Unfortunately XP never advances past this screen. The only way to activate Windows is to log off, then log back on and call the toll-free number to activate EACH laptop image. Entering a KEY code is one thing, but placing a 20 minute phone call for each computer is a time prohibitive process.

Our network runs DHCP without any need for proxy settings to connect to the internet. Has anyone see this behavior? Can anyone suggest any solutions

Thanks
Dave

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Creating an image using an OEM version of Windows XP will
always require a different Product Key to activate Only way to avoid this
is to use a Volume License CD with the appropriate VL agreement.
A VL versions of Windows XP does not have a Product Activation
requirement. You may wish to contact your computer vender and see
if they can offer VL in lieu of OEM licensing.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hello,
|
| I am attempting to deploy 50 new laptop computers using RIS. All of these laptops came with OEM versions of
Windows XP & Office 2003 SBE. After customizing one of the computers to my liking, I ran RISPREP.EXE and
posted an image to our RIS server. I then installed that image to a second laptop. As expected, I was
prompted for an individual OEM XP KEY since these are OEM versions and my company doesn't feel it necessary to
enroll these computers under a common Select Agreement KEY. The problem occurs upon first login when the user
is prompted to Activate the copy of XP. After asking a few prompts, the computer attempts to 'connect to the
internet' to activate that copy. Unfortunately XP never advances past this screen. The only way to activate
Windows is to log off, then log back on and call the toll-free number to activate EACH laptop image. Entering
a KEY code is one thing, but placing a 20 minute phone call for each computer is a time prohibitive process.
|
| Our network runs DHCP without any need for proxy settings to connect to the internet. Has anyone see this
behavior? Can anyone suggest any solutions?
|
| Thanks,
| Dave
|

Ask a Question