RIS help needed

OK here is the situation. We are deploying a 100 or so workstations and we are getting the infamous "the operating system image you selected does not contain the neccessary drivers for your network adapter etc." What I have already done is get the new inf file from intel to get the flat file image to work, but after we have built the machine with all its software and use riprep, then try to deploy it to the other machines it gets the error message above. These are all new dell OptiPlex GX270 with intel pro/1000 MT desktop adapter. the inf file I replaced on the flat file image which does work is named E1000325.inf. Any Help would be appreciated.
We are using winxp and the RIS server is Win 2k. Thanks in advance.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Error Message: The Operating System Image You Selected Does Not Contain the
Necessary Drivers for Your Network Adapter. Try Selecting a Different Operating
System Image. If the Problem Persists, Contact Your System Administrator.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315074&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"JayH" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| OK here is the situation. We are deploying a 100 or so workstations and we are getting the infamous "the
operating system image you selected does not contain the neccessary drivers for your network adapter etc."
What I have already done is get the new inf file from intel to get the flat file image to work, but after we
have built the machine with all its software and use riprep, then try to deploy it to the other machines it
gets the error message above. These are all new dell OptiPlex GX270 with intel pro/1000 MT desktop adapter.
the inf file I replaced on the flat file image which does work is named E1000325.inf. Any Help would be
appreciated.
| We are using winxp and the RIS server is Win 2k. Thanks in advance.

The KB article is no help when you cant fid the file it references which is 24240_enu_i386_zip.exe. I did a search on microsoft, google, and yahoo. I found nothing for this file. SP1 is already installed so technically it should have fixed it. And the servers have sp4 so im at a loss.

Please tell me where I can find this file so that I can download it and attempt this fix.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows 2000 Patch: Win2k RIPrep needs to support Win2k SRV, ADS and XP client images
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-fe32-4826-a646-d64314178888&DisplayLang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| The KB article is no help when you cant fid the file it references which is 24240_enu_i386_zip.exe. I did a
search on microsoft, google, and yahoo. I found nothing for this file. SP1 is already installed so
technically it should have fixed it. And the servers have sp4 so im at a loss.

| Please tell me where I can find this file so that I can download it and attempt this fix.

george

JayH said:
again no help...
Already did that update about a year ago.
Also the setupldr.exe that you are sopposed to rename to ntldr in sp1a is
in a compressed form and is a file called setupldr.ex_. I have no clue how
to decompress it so that I could try the fix in your first response.
expand setupldr.ex_ setupldr.exe

I have traced the problem down to a post sp1a service pack from the
windows update site. I am not sure which one it is yet but I can get a
machine to boot from the network and install a riprep image for these
machines. We are just going to have to rely on our SUS server to update all
of the clients after we push the image on the machines. When is microsoft
going to fix the bugs in RIS? There are several issues we have from it.
Everything from network cards to the service packs they approve.

Well I found the problem myself. The problem was the update rollup 1 for xp hotfix. The specific kb number is kb826939. It must update the network drivers or how they are handled. I hope microsoft knows this and fixes it before they release service pack 2 for xp.