right click crashes system

reddealer

when I right click any of the drives the system crashes and I have to reboot.
running xp home sp3. have searhed microsoft for awnsers but found none and
dont want to pay 59.00 any help is welcome.......
Thanks

VanguardLH

reddealer said:
when I right click any of the drives the system crashes and I have to reboot.
running xp home sp3. have searhed microsoft for awnsers but found none and
dont want to pay 59.00 any help is welcome.......
Thanks

My guess is that you installed software that added a context menu entry
for drive objects. So when you right-click on a drive object, the
context menu attempts to include the new entry but there is a problem in
how it was registered or adds its entry or submenus to the context menu.
So what did you install recently?

Nirsoft has some utilities that let you look at the shell extensions.
You might find the culprit listed there, or it will jog your memory
about something you forgot that you had installed.

ju.c

That is actually an easy problem to solve. You can find the shell extension
that is causing the problem by using "ShellExView". Simply disable half of
the items and test your right-click. Keep halving until you narrow it down
and find the one causing the crash. Downloads:

ShellExView 1.36 50 KB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Download: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip
Installer: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview_setup.exe
Windows 64-Bit: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview-x64.zip

Freeware Utilities for Windows
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html

ju.c

reddealer

Disabled all, no help anyother ideas.

ju.c said:
That is actually an easy problem to solve. You can find the shell extension
that is causing the problem by using "ShellExView". Simply disable half of
the items and test your right-click. Keep halving until you narrow it down
and find the one causing the crash. Downloads:

ShellExView 1.36 50 KB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Download: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip
Installer: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview_setup.exe
Windows 64-Bit: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview-x64.zip

Freeware Utilities for Windows
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html

ju.c

ju.c

Wow, major bummer.

Try some things...

Export this key then delete it and test your right-click:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex]

If it still crashes, try again after restarting as restarting may
be needed to disable a shell extension.

If it's OK after deleting that key then you've narrowed it down
to something in the key. Let me know what happens with these
suggestions.

ju.c

reddealer

That key doesnot exist

reddealer said:
Disabled all, no help anyother ideas.

Roger

To others having Right Click Crash problems
Try the program here

I tried disabling a number of the keys even ALL and did not solve the problem.
I suggest NOT following the TIP.

Sort on TYPE
ONE AT A TIME disable the items under CONTEXT MENU

ShellExView solved my problem following this approach.

reddealer said:
That key doesnot exist

:

[...]

Have already downloaded this file and did all that the artical said still
have problem but thanks anyway.

Roger said:
To others having Right Click Crash problems
Try the program here

I tried disabling a number of the keys even ALL and did not solve the problem.
I suggest NOT following the TIP.

Sort on TYPE
ONE AT A TIME disable the items under CONTEXT MENU

ShellExView solved my problem following this approach.

reddealer said:
That key doesnot exist

ju.c said:
[...]

Try sending email with details to
(e-mail address removed)

Roger said:
To others having Right Click Crash problems
Try the program here

I tried disabling a number of the keys even ALL and did not solve the problem.
I suggest NOT following the TIP.

Sort on TYPE
ONE AT A TIME disable the items under CONTEXT MENU

ShellExView solved my problem following this approach.

reddealer said:
That key doesnot exist

:

[...]

Doug W.

Did you ever think that it might be a mouse problem? A friend
had a similar computer problem and it turned out to be a BAD
mouse. It can happen.

-----
message

Roger said:
To others having Right Click Crash problems
Try the program here

I tried disabling a number of the keys even ALL and did not
solve the problem.
I suggest NOT following the TIP.

Sort on TYPE
ONE AT A TIME disable the items under CONTEXT MENU

ShellExView solved my problem following this approach.

reddealer said:
That key doesnot exist

:

Wow, major bummer.

Try some things...

Export this key then delete it and test your right-click:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex]

If it still crashes, try again after restarting as
restarting may
be needed to disable a shell extension.

If it's OK after deleting that key then you've narrowed
it down
to something in the key. Let me know what happens with
these
suggestions.

ju.c

in message
Disabled all, no help anyother ideas.

:

That is actually an easy problem to solve. You can
find the shell extension
that is causing the problem by using "ShellExView".
Simply disable half of
the items and test your right-click. Keep halving
until you narrow it down
and find the one causing the crash. Downloads:

ShellExView 1.36 50 KB (Freeware)
Info: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Download: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip
Installer: