well and I would rather dedicate it as a file server and transfer all the
user accounts and active directory to another server. How do I go about
doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

S

Steven L Umbach

You can add a second domain controller to your domain by running dcpromo on it. Be
sure to configure it to point to the existing domain controller as it's preferred dns
server in tcp/ip properties before running dcpromo on it. Select the option to add an
additional domain controller to an existing domain and go from there. Before you want
to decommission your existing domain controller, go to AD Sites and Services and
configure the new domain controller to be a global catalog server as shown in the
link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994

Then make your tcp/ip infrastructure is in place in that the domain computers need to
point to your new domain controller as their preferred dns server either through
static entries or via dhcp scopes before you decommission your old domain controller.
The same goes for wins if used.

Then you can decommission your old domain controller by using dcpromo which will also
move the five fsmo roles to your new domain controller if successful. It then should
be a member server in the domain. Also remove it's entry as being a domain controller
in AD Sites and Services when done. Be sure to have a current full backup of your
existing domain controller including the System State before proceeding. --- Steve

S

Steven L Umbach

Forgot to add to point your new domain controller to itself as being it's preferred
dns server after you dcpromo it, but wait at least an hour to make sure everything
has replicated/registered correctly. After that I would reboot it. --- Steve

Ask a Question