Access Restricting folder access in WinXP

Reaction score
I've just switched to XP from 98SE and i have to say, i'm quite impressed at how painless the whole XPerience (geddit?) has been.

I have got one problem that i need help with, though. I can't seem to restrict access to folders for the user group properly. It blocks me as well (i'm in the admin group, not the users one).

Here's a step-by-step of what i did:

• Right-click on folder

Select properties

Select Sharing & Security tab

Highlight Users group. I should mention at this point that the text for this group actually reads "Users (FINGERZ\Users)", which i found a bit weird, since i'm not part of the Users group.

Tick "Deny" for all permissions and click OK.
I then logged-in as a user and everything had worked fine. Then i logged back in as myself and i had been restricted from accessing the folder as well. Admittedly, being an admin, i can unrestrict myself but i'd rather not have to do this every time.

Anyone?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm

Are you using Pro or the Home edition?

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions
1. Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder for which you want to set permissions.
2. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
3. Do one of the following:
To set permissions for a group or user that does not appear in the Group or user names box, click Add. Type the name of the group or user you want to set permissions for and then click OK.

To change or remove permissions from an existing group or user, click the name of the group or user.

4. Do one of the following:
To allow or deny a permission, in the Permissions for User or Group box, select the Allow or Deny check box.

To remove the group or user from the Group or user names box, click Remove.

If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:
To make your folders private
1. Open My Computer.
2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive (C:), unless you have more than one drive on your computer).

If the contents of the drive are hidden, under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.

3. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
4. Double-click your user folder.
5. Right-click any folder in your user profile, and then click Properties.
6. On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I have access to it check box.

:crazy:

Ask a Question