Replacing drive in dual boot system

sharon

I have a dual boot system with W2K on the C: drive and XP
on the D: drive. When it was originally set up, I
installed W2K first and XP second as instructed. I want to
replace the C: drive with a new, larger one. How can I
keep the dual boot setup? Should I install W2K to the new
C: drive with the D: drive temporarily disconnected, then
restart with D: attached and reinstall XP? Or what? Thanks
for your advice!

Firstly, I assume you have two physical drives in your
computer with one partition on each (i.e. a C: drive on
one disk and a D: drive on the other disk).

If this is the case I would use an imaging software (like
Norton Ghost) to make an image of the C: partition and put
this image onto the second disk. Replace the C: disk with
a bigger one and use Norton Ghost to copy partition back.

If you have just one disk, partitioned into a C: and a D:
then use Norton Ghost (again) to image the whole disk as a
file onto the new drive. Copy this image file onto old
disk. Configure your new disk as the master and second on
as slave. Boot off the ghost CD and then grab image of old
disk and put onto new disk.

Confused ? I hope not :)
To put it simply - use Norton Ghost.
The C: partition contains all sorts of hiddden files on
the C: drive which allows you to use two operating
systems. If you reinstall Windows 2000 to C: then you will
only be able to boot into Windows 2000.

Regards,

Tim

Thanks, Tim, but...

First, clarifications. Yes, as you assumed, there are two
hard drives, each with one partition. And yes, I am very
well aware of boot.ini, not to mention the hidden files
and registry entries that need to be created on the new
drive for W2K to function. But as for Ghost... for
various irrelevant reasons, some things in the W2K
installation are not quite right at present. (This is
another reason, aside from increased capacity, to replace
that drive.) Using Ghost (or other imaging program) will
just replicate the existing incorrect settings. Is there
a way to do a clean install of W2K, but recreate the dual
boot setup I currently have?

Timothy Daniels

Hi, this is the other Tim (Daniels). If you're willing
to forego the dual-boot process provided in the
WinXP OS and instead use the BIOS to specifiy
which HD boots, just re-install Win2K on its HD
alone in the system with the other HD disconnected.
After Win2K has been booted alone for the 1st time,
re-introduce the HD that contains the WinXP OS.
Thereafter, just re-set the boot sequence in the
BIOS to make one or the other HD the booting
HD. It doesn't matter if they are Master/Slave on
one IDE channel or if they are Master/Master on
separate IDE channels.

*TimDaniels*

Timothy Daniels

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
All you need to do is to copy the boot.ini, NTLDR, NTDetect.com and
NTbootdd.sys(May not be present and if it isn't present it isn't needed.
If it is there it may be required, but if it's not there you do not need
it.)
install the new drive as the C Drive and install Windows 2000 to it.
backup the boot.ini file and replace the the files in the root with the
files you previously backed up. Verfiy the boot.ini setting for the arc
path are the same for Windows 2000 in the new file as they were in the old
file. They should be but check to be sure.
The Windows 2000 install will install the NT boot sector. you need the
NTLDR and NTDetect from Windows XP to be able to boot XP. Those copies
will boot both XP and Windows 2000. The boot.ini contains the settings for
both installs to point to the correct paths to load the rest of the OS so
it needs to be retained and modified if the path is changed with the new
install.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]