Repeated Outllook Crashes

jhsacto

I am getting an error in outlook. it appears to happen
during the send and receive. process.

The message is as follows:
Microst Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to
close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Under more information:
AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 10.0.5709.0
ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217
Offset: 00019ecd

I have:
*Scanned for viruses -- none found
*Rebuilt the laptop -- still encounter the error
*Archived old messages
*Encounter the same problem when I use my .pst file on
another system.
*Created a new default .pst file

Any help is appreciated.

Roady [MVP]

Do you use any software that integrates with Outlook? Disable it and try
again. If it works now you'll need to update that software

What exactly is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this?

--
Roady [MVP]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures

Hi
Not using any other software other than office.

The application/event viewer says:
Application = outlook.exe
version = 10.0.5709.0
Module = ntdll.dll
Module verison = 10.0.4115.0
Offset = 00009305
and the current date and time.

Roady [MVP]

I need the Event ID as well :)

Does it also happen when you start Outlook in safe mode;
Start-> Run; "path to Outlook.exe" /safe

--
Roady [MVP]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures

jhsacto

I am not running any other software integrated with
outlook other than office.

the event log shows the same error detail as described
below.

Help!! :)

John

Hi,

The event ID is 1000.

Have not tried safe mode. Will let it run in safe mode
and reply to your next post.

thanks for the help so far!

Roady [MVP]

I was afraid of that already (that Event ID doesn't give you much)

Do you have a virusscanner that checks ingoing an outgoing messages? See if
disabling that solves your issue. You said you rebuilded the laptop and
tried it with a new pst-file. Is this a stand alone laptop or a member of a
Domain with Roaming Profiles?

--
Roady [MVP]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures

John B

I have had the same problem. In the windows task manager
outlook.exe remained in the list of processes. I found
that opening, allowing synchronisation, closing and
allowing synchronisation, that it would work for a while,
but then freeze.

Starting in SAFE mode and it works fine.

Starting as normal problem recurs.

jhsacto

So far outlook has not crashed in safe mode.

This is a laptop that I use for work. I VPN into the
network and join the domain that has my post office.
There are no other users or romaing profile. I am the
only one using the system.

I am running innoculateIT. and will try turning off
incoming/outgoin files.

This happens anywhere from 5 to 20 times per day.

thanks!!

John B

I seem to have achived success.
==============================
When it worked OK in safe mode, I noticed that one of the
things Safe mode did was to reset all my customised
toolbars to standard. I have previously had a problem with
customised toolbars and the solution was to
Close Outlook
Rename the file called outcmd.dat to outcmd.old
Restart Outlook and a new outcmd.dat file is created.
Did this and the problem has gone.
I hope it stays that way.
Delete outcmd.old if it solves the problem.

Anyway all the comments from you guys in this part pointed
me in the correct direction so well done.

John

Roady [MVP]

You're welcome! Good to hear you've got it solved! :)

--
Roady [MVP]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Setting Permissions on a Mailbox

5 Days later and still OK. Quite a few in our company have
had the same problem and our IT now think that the email
server corrupted the file on the PCs & laptops. Everyone
who has had the problem have had the file deleted and are
now fixed.

NB it was solution from a previous problem that solved it.

Subject: Re: Toolbar customizations in
outlook 2002