Remote desktop, have tried EVERYTHING

Reaction score
I am trying to connect to my pc at home which is linked to a pc with a linksys router and a d-link broadband modem (aparently the linksys one was because we used to have a wireless network) i am able to use remote assistance on the main pc gaining control over the pc i wish to control. i used the normal ip of 192.168.1.101 but connecting outside the network i use the ip address on www.whatsmyip.org but is this the right ip address seems as the pc im connecting to is behind a router? heard it could be my isp's ip address? if not the right one how do i find the correct one?

i have enabled port forwarding for 3389 TCP to 192.168.1.101 on the linksys router as this is what shows on ipconfig on the pc i wish to connect to.

remote connections enabled within windows and upnp is enabled (gateway showing in network connections)

i know the external pc im using is set up to connect via remote desktop as others use it. i cant think of anything else.

Things im thinking of trying (please advise whether worth it)

ditching the wireless router and connecting both pcs direct through the d-link broadband modem (if it has more than one slot?) (would i still have to open ports on modem?)

finding the ip address of the broadband modem using ipconfig /all (should be correct ip for pc as not behind router??)

Any help on the above would be really appreciated, have i missed anything? surely its just the router causing the probs so hoping ditching it will enable me to connect, likely?

also one other thing, i seem to have slow download rates even though im on broadband, will removing the above router help speed things up as i expected to happen when upnp was enabled?

Many Thanks in advance

Ask a Question