Remote assistance re (Remote Host error message)

G

I posted this inquiry earlier this week to one of the other newsgroups and was directed to Google Groups and searched for this problem. What I found is a lot of people with the same problem and not many definitive answers as to why or a definite solution. I've tried a number to steps that I've listed below, but all to no avail. I read one post that said after they had updated their operating system to SP1 I believe, it was then that they started to encounter the problem as I'm currently having and have just recently completed an extensive upgrade through the MS update center. I just know that Remote Assistance used to work fine and it doesn't any more. Below is a description of my problem

I am trying to connect with my parents computer through Remote Assistance using MSN 6.1. Both computers are running MSN 6.1 and Windows Messenger 5.0, both use XP Home Edition and we are also both behind a Netgear router RP614v2. UPnP is enabled on both routers and remote assistance is enabled in system properties on each as well. I have started the support to host UPnP device under Services (Local) on both computers to. Everything I try seems to have no effect. We are able to use text message, transfer files, use the audio/visual aspects all work fine in the current set up, except for Remote Assistance. Remote Assistance had worked fairly consistently to date, but as of late I keep getting the message listed below when my parents try and ask me to use RA. I had them ask to use RA here at my work where I don't use a router, as it's a stand alone PC with the internal firewall disabled and I still get the same error message. Any have thoughts on what the problem could be

I tried several times last night and to no avail and each time they asked for an Remote Assistance session I would get a window displaying (connecting) which is normal, followed by this error message

"Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again.

I've had this message in the past and after a couple attempts it would eventually connect, but not any more

Thanks in advance for your replies

Sincerely

Jack Robert

S

Sooner Al

You may need to try the email or file method of invitation and modify the RCTICKET field in the
invitation file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300692

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Jack said:
I posted this inquiry earlier this week to one of the other newsgroups and was directed to Google
Groups and searched for this problem. What I found is a lot of people with the same problem and not
many definitive answers as to why or a definite solution. I've tried a number to steps that I've
listed below, but all to no avail. I read one post that said after they had updated their operating
system to SP1 I believe, it was then that they started to encounter the problem as I'm currently
having and have just recently completed an extensive upgrade through the MS update center. I just
know that Remote Assistance used to work fine and it doesn't any more. Below is a description of my
problem.
I am trying to connect with my parents computer through Remote Assistance using MSN 6.1. Both
computers are running MSN 6.1 and Windows Messenger 5.0, both use XP Home Edition and we are also
both behind a Netgear router RP614v2. UPnP is enabled on both routers and remote assistance is
enabled in system properties on each as well. I have started the support to host UPnP device under
Services (Local) on both computers to. Everything I try seems to have no effect. We are able to use
text message, transfer files, use the audio/visual aspects all work fine in the current set up,
except for Remote Assistance. Remote Assistance had worked fairly consistently to date, but as of
late I keep getting the message listed below when my parents try and ask me to use RA. I had them
ask to use RA here at my work where I don't use a router, as it's a stand alone PC with the internal
firewall disabled and I still get the same error message. Any have thoughts on what the problem
could be?
I tried several times last night and to no avail and each time they asked for an Remote Assistance
session I would get a window displaying (connecting) which is normal, followed by this error
G

Thanks Al

Will try this method during the weekend and let you know the reults.

Jack

S

Sooner Al

You would need to open the invitation file with Notepad, or some other text editor, and modify the
IP address of the Novice. Use the public IP of your parents router. They can get that by going to
the http://www.whatismyip.com site... The article I referenced you to describes the format of the
invitation file.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Jack said:
Hello Al:

I have read through article 300692. Although it was very informative on how the process functions,
I don't see any where in the article that refers to modifying the RCTICKET. Is there perhaps another
article or web site I can get this information from? I just don't know what has happened, as it
used to work just fine without the need for this fix your referring too.

I

Ian

Hi Jack,

I'm having a similar problem to what you're describing except that I
(so-called "expert") am behind a UPnP-enabled NAT firewall and my "client"
is behind the Windows XP built-in Internet Connection Firewall.

I have found that there are problems with NAT traversal (via UPnP) when
using MSN Messenger 6.1 (i.e. we can't establish a session). If we both use
Windows Messenger 5.0 instead, the traversal works (i.e. we're able to
establish a RA session). Although MSN Messenger 6.1 is supposedly UPnP
aware / compliant - it's my belief that the implementation may have a few
bugs.

Windows Messenger 5.0 can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1&displaylang=en

Ian

J

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

Some routers/gateways are more UPnP-compliant than others... DLink's
and MS's UPnP routines work the best...

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
(e-mail address removed)

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

I

Ian

Jeffrey,

Yes I've found that also - UPnP implementations in NAT routers can vary
widely from one manufacturer to another. The original implementation of
UPnP in the Microsoft 802.1b wireless router (MN500) sucked, for example.
And, I have completely lost faith in Linksys (BEFSR41) for all the updates
they've released and with their shoddy change control & regression testing
(do they even do it?).

But my point is that Windows Messenger (5.0) is more UPnP aware -
apparently - than MSN Messenger (6.1). I think they need to take a look at
UPnP in MSN Messenger and also the usage of UPnP in the Remote Assistance
negotiation / connection setup process.

Ian

Ask a Question