registry problems

Reaction score
now my computer has slowed down a fair bit, i got a scanner for the registry and it said that there is problems there, can anyone tell me is there a free registry cleaner out there that does work?? I got "Registry Mechanic" but that went so far then you have to pay for it. It tells you the problems but you have to pay for it to be fixed as you might know, to be honest im pretty new to this so any help is good for me. If you know anything that can help i would be very greatfull

Reaction score
i have that, but i cant sort out the registry for free with it, it says it will it fix up to 50 then you have to register it. but maybe im not using it right, so if you can explain sometime that would be good

Reaction score
Well unless they have changed it recently I aint got a clue.

Im using an older version let me check

Reaction score
i am doing it now, its the "Temp file / shortcuts" that has alot of stuff wrong like 448 things wrong, hmmm any things you can recomend for me? btw the startup has 20 things wrong aswell

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let it do what it wants to help. Remember though it will delete all your cookies and favourites if you have told it too.

If you dont want them deleted back them up!

AS for the registry let it scan if your not sure then make sure you back up the registry before it cleans it up for you. You have to be careful!

Im not expert on Ccleaner but i use it everyday and it seem to keep my system stable. Just done a full scan now and its cleared 1.4gigs worth of rubbish from today alone

Let us know anyway

Last edited:
Reaction score
the disk clean seems to go alright, its just the registry thats bothering me, its weird i have gotten 3 different registry scanners and they all say different things hmm. if the computer is running slow well starting slow and turning off slow is that a registry problem??

Reaction score
Yeah the registry can cause all sorts of problems with starting and shutting down but so can many other things too

Have you cleaned the registry up yet?

Reaction score
yes, but not much has changed, i used that "Registry Mechanic" its tells me all the problems but you have to pay to fix it, reg mechanic says that the startup has alot of problems. is there anything else that could add to this you might know of??

thank you for the help btw

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
greenshadow said:
the disk clean seems to go alright, its just the registry thats bothering me, its weird i have gotten 3 different registry scanners and they all say different things hmm. if the computer is running slow well starting slow and turning off slow is that a registry problem??
No, it ain't a registry problem ... with over 100,000 lines in there I wouldn't bother "cleaning" it.

But what I would ask is ... what is the OS, how much Ram, CPU?

How many programs have you loading on start-up (bottom right in the taskbar) and have you an antivirus running?

user.gif

Reaction score
OS: windows XP home edition. RAM:224 mb of ram( pretty low i know its a old computer)
CPU:2.68ghz-celeron.
i use Avast-antivirus, and MSN starts when the comp starts up

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah well now ... there we have it. ;)

512 is what we would consider a min for XP and a Celeron ain't the speediest brick on the block.

That's two out of three ... if you use MSN straight after starting your PC up, then fine, have it load ... if you don't then stop it loading until you do need it, then exit it after using.

That can be said for ANY "start-up" program, well, with the exception of your AV program. :thumb:

I have two programs that load-up when I start ... one is my AV, the other is WCG (our crunchin program) and that is it ... all the other junk that my printer, scanner, camera, Windows, MSN, Skype Picasa, and uncle tom, all have to wait till I want them ... or, they get uninstalled. :D

A simple solution, or it should be, would be to add a bit of breathing space and add more Ram. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
thanks mucks

one thing i always make sure when i install progs. why have it running if you not using it?

waste of resources

Ask a Question