Windows XP Registry Cleaner/Fixer

Reaction score
Seems my IE6 problem (mshtml.dll) could be down to a registry problem, does anyone know of a good reg cleaner/fixer that is free. All the ones i have looked for are free until you want to repair/clean or delete things.

Every time i open a new page IE6 sends a shut down report, hence crunching going to low today:mad:
Currently using opera with no problems (famous last words);)
I'm just really pi55ed off with it all and i hate working on my own pc:eek:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I found that sometimes you need to rescan after the the first 'fix' and maybe once more after that....But i dont know why, it just kept finding stuff the first time i used it.You did back up the registry before you used it didn't you.....? ;)

Reaction score
oopps

may not have done:( oopps , but have re booted from a cold start twice and all ok.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
V_R you are very right in saying a rescan is required as some of the stuff keeps coming back. I also have the same issue, having deleted it and the software also does not exist but it keeps cropping up again and again. Wonder if this software is getting a bit long in the tooth as well or what? It does a very good job as a janitor though:D

Reaction score
still a problem

seems the IE6 problem still here, but not happening so much? still coming up as a mshtml.dll problem, not sure what to do, could try a system restore and see if that helps?:( :( :( :( :(
IE says error with:
C:\Docume ~1\HOME PC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\adv83_appcompat.txt
Does this mean my profile is faulty or has a virus??

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The file you state is in the Temporary folder so I do not see why it cannot be deleted. However, this file may be associated with some software you installed recently. Did you try Ccleaner? You need to remove files from Temp folders as well as Fix Issues, if you have not done that you should try that out.

I am also wondering why you do not mention Firefox! Are you not using it? Have you considered using Firefox at all? It is much faster than IE. Besides have you updated windows recently? IE needs some security updates which need to be updated from time to time.

Sorry for so many questions but just trying to figure out what could be wrong with your PC and some of the questions may be directed to your problem.

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
The file you state is in the Temporary folder so I do not see why it cannot be deleted. However, this file may be associated with some software you installed recently. Did you try Ccleaner? You need to remove files from Temp folders as well as Fix Issues, if you have not done that you should try that out.

I am also wondering why you do not mention Firefox! Are you not using it? Have you considered using Firefox at all? It is much faster than IE. Besides have you updated windows recently? IE needs some security updates which need to be updated from time to time.

Sorry for so many questions but just trying to figure out what could be wrong with your PC and some of the questions may be directed to your problem.
Have tried Ccleaner which stopped the trouble for a while but then it came back, tried firefox and the same error occured, have tried opera and seems to run ok in that, have just done a system restore to see if that helps. All IE6 updates are up to date. Not sure what else could be wrong??

Reaction score
I have the same issue, only happens when i browse PCR though, as soon as i get to pages in the crunchers corner, bang, it just dies and shuts IE down.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Your not gonna belive this but it just happened to me here at work.....
I.E 6 and W2KPro

But it only closed the PCReview window not my other I.E Windows..... :confused:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of work for poor Ian :( If it is really a problem with PC Review. However, we need to get some more info from other members as well who use IE.

Those who are reading this and use IE could please step forward and let us know if you also have similar problem as pointed out here on the thread. Thanks

Reaction score
arrgghhhh

When i go to the page to download IE6 and try to install it i get the following message that my system has a newer version of IE already installed on the system, setup can not continue?

Can i delete IE6 from my pc and then re-install it from the download? I have a stable browser in Opera asa backup. Really want to sort this problem out!!
Feel like i want to throw my teddy out of the pram!!!

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Looks like a lot of work for poor Ian :( If it is really a problem with PC Review. However, we need to get some more info from other members as well who use IE.

Those who are reading this and use IE could please step forward and let us know if you also have similar problem as pointed out here on the thread. Thanks
Sorry Quad just read your post, it always seems to happen when i'm on this site:( I seem to be here 24/7 could be a problem here??

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well I'm immune ... however, I don't like the sounds of what you are saying.

The mshtml.dll "problem" has bugged MS for some time, but only seems to be spasmodic ... :confused:

I have notice that sometimes the "stats sigs" can play a little game ... in that they tie up FF and FF never quite finishes loading the page ... it happens a lot when I encounter posts with the Boinc Sigs

May I be as bold as to ask you all who use the Boinc stats sig to temporally disable/delete them
... sorry, but I can't think of anything else that could cause this on PCR

:confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just did it again...
Heres a report thing that says what the problem is....

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: mshtml.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2800.1529 Offset: 001ad8c0

Mucks said:
May I be as bold as to ask you all who use the Boinc stats sig to temporally disable/delete them

Done.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
V_R said:
Just did it again...

Done.
OK, ta ... but did you get that before ... or after you deleted the sig?

As a matter of interest was there any "new" updates from MS concerning IE ????

I'll have a look around the newsgroups ...

Reaction score
V_R said:
Just did it again...

Done.
So it happens to other people as well, very interesting.
Could it be a problem with this site at all, hope not but????

Reaction score
ChrisIMRIE said:
I have the same issue, only happens when i browse PCR though, as soon as i get to pages in the crunchers corner, bang, it just dies and shuts IE down.

What a coincident it has been happening to myself also; but as you say only on Pc review especially in crunchers corner, I thought nothing of it until now, so have been scanning/searching and found nothing thwart, I guess Ian has some work to do so good luck kind Sir ;) I have the utmost faith while on this forum:thumb:

Ask a Question