Microsoft recognised Registry Fixer

ngrTerry

Does anyone know if Microsoft has a registry fixer of sorts which
effectively scans and repairs the registry.
I am in doubt about using some of the various ones out there which
have not been approved by Microsoft and need a reliable one to fix up
my registry.

Thanks in advance

smlunatick

Does anyone know if Microsoft has a registry fixer of sorts which
effectively scans and repairs the registry.
I am in doubt about using some of the various ones out there which
have not been approved by Microsoft and need a reliable one to fix up
my registry.

Thanks in advance

Registry fixers are also known as Registry breakers. Not one registry
fixers that I trying did not end up damaging the registries I worked
on.

One important precaution for any registry "fixing" is to export the
entire registry before doing the fix.

db ´¯`·.. >

exporting the registry before
it gets modified is a good idea.

but it is easier to make
a system restore point

"or "

backing up the registry
with a program like erunt
before the registry gets
modified.

if i'm not mistaken, microsoft's
one care from the suggestion i
provided will automatically
create a system restore point.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Does anyone know if Microsoft has a registry fixer of sorts which
effectively scans and repairs the registry.
I am in doubt about using some of the various ones out there which
have not been approved by Microsoft and need a reliable one to fix up
my registry.

Thanks in advance

Registry fixers are also known as Registry breakers. Not one registry
fixers that I trying did not end up damaging the registries I worked
on.

One important precaution for any registry "fixing" is to export the
entire registry before doing the fix.

Daave

ngrTerry said:
Does anyone know if Microsoft has a registry fixer of sorts which
effectively scans and repairs the registry.
I am in doubt about using some of the various ones out there which
have not been approved by Microsoft and need a reliable one to fix up
my registry.

Why do you think your registry needs to be repaired?

David Webb

FWIW, here's a quote from the author of ERUNT, an excellent registry backup
utility:

Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) for
making a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the
whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive
is saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the
current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file,
it is merged with the current registry without deleting anything that
has been added since the export, leaving you with an absolute mess of
old and new entries.
[end quote]

db ´¯`·.. >

thanks for the quote.

i have exported the registry
without difficulties but
haven't performed any
tests to prove whether or
not a full import was futile.

perhaps, instead of passing
along third hand information,
you might conduct the test
yourself to see if that quote
is fact or fiction or a little
of both.

unfortunately, there is a lot
of crap on the net and it
is best to rely on ones own
experience whenever possible.
--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

db ´¯`·.. > said:
exporting the registry before
it gets modified is a good idea.

but it is easier to make
a system restore point

"or "

backing up the registry
with a program like erunt
before the registry gets
modified.

if i'm not mistaken, microsoft's
one care from the suggestion i
provided will automatically
create a system restore point.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Registry fixers are also known as Registry breakers. Not one registry
fixers that I trying did not end up damaging the registries I worked
on.

One important precaution for any registry "fixing" is to export the
entire registry before doing the fix.

Bill in Co.

What is said in that article makes sense. If you (for example) just click
on a .reg file to import it, it overlays (merges) what is in there already,
which is an incomplete procedure for restoring a registry.

This is not the case with ERUNT, which actually saves or restores the entire
registry (or System Restore).

The analogy can be made with Win98SE, in using "scanreg /restore" to restore
a previous registry. This procedure is VERY different from just
importing parts of the registry through regedit. (BTDT - with my own
experience)

David Webb said:
FWIW, here's a quote from the author of ERUNT, an excellent registry
backup
utility:

Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) for
making a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the
whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive
is saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the
current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file,
it is merged with the current registry without deleting anything that
has been added since the export, leaving you with an absolute mess of
old and new entries.
[end quote]

" db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. ." <databaseben.public.newsgroup.microsoft.com>
wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
[...]

I believe what the writer said. If you have doubts, perhaps you would like to
test it and report back with your findings.

db ´¯`·.. > said:
[...]

yeh, i think that the exporting
and importing methodology
works best on a branch or
specific keys that are planned to be
modified / hacked and need
to import the original
values in case of a booboo.

i think that was the intent of
the suggestion by the other
helpful person posting a
suggestion.

however i think everyone agrees
that system restore and erunt are
very helpful and easy to use, if
one can remember to initiate them.

there are a number of things
that microsoft could improve
upon and this thread poses an
interesting thought.

the regedit should automatically
save a copy or a backup of
the registry before saving
changes.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

David Webb said:
FWIW, here's a quote from the author of ERUNT, an excellent registry backup
utility:

Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) for
making a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the
whole registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive
is saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the
current registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file,
it is merged with the current registry without deleting anything that
has been added since the export, leaving you with an absolute mess of
old and new entries.
[end quote]

" db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. ." <databaseben.public.newsgroup.microsoft.com>
wrote
in message exporting the registry before
[...]

Spot on!

David said:
I believe what the writer said. If you have doubts, perhaps you would
like to test it and report back with your findings.

" db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. ."

David Webb said:
[...]

Tony Meloche

however i think everyone agrees
that system restore and erunt are
very helpful and easy to use, if
one can remember to initiate them.

I've used Erunt for years, and had to use it to restore the registry
once - it worked flawlessly. It's very easy to use, and it's free, too.
I do it once a week. I also keep system restore up to date - that
works well too, unless some other software program on your computer
conflicts with it (Norton tends to be a prime suspect).

Tony

Bill in Co.

Tony said:
I've used Erunt for years, and had to use it to restore the registry
once - it worked flawlessly. It's very easy to use, and it's free, too.
I do it once a week. I also keep system restore up to date - that
works well too, unless some other software program on your computer
conflicts with it (Norton tends to be a prime suspect).

Tony

Yup. ERUNT is *extremely* easy to use!
Norton???? Ugh. (well, ok, except maybe Partition Magic :)

db ´¯`·.. >

erunt is ok, however,
anyone can replicate
the methodology manually.

step one at the link below
provides the location of
the active and base registry files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

further, based on my own
first hand experience and
emails with this writer a
while back, i can report that
i can believe this writer:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/honeycutt_03march17.mspx

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

David Webb said:
[...]

I use the Autoback.exe tool that is supplied in the current version of ERUNT.
This backs up the complete registry during system startup. By default it saves
30 days worth, each one in its own dated folder. I limit mine to the last 7
days. This automatic routine solves the problem of the occasionally forgotten
manual backup task.

Bill in Co.

You can export and import keys, but it does NOT replace what ERUNT (or
System Restore) is capable of doing - for the reasons already covered.

David Webb said:
[...]

Bruce Chambers

ngrTerry said:
Does anyone know if Microsoft has a registry fixer of sorts which
effectively scans and repairs the registry.

Microsoft is peddling such a snake oil product as part of its One Care
package, but it's not significantly better than any of the other ones
out there. (It might be marginally safer, being from the maker of the
OS, but it'll still do absolutely nothing useful.)

I am in doubt about using some of the various ones out there which
have not been approved by Microsoft and need a reliable one to fix up
my registry.

Thanks in advance

Why do you even think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry "cleaner?"

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
wide-spread multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to
safely clean your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry "cleaner,"
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry "cleaner," particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's
certainly been no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use
of such products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's
performance or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not
worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry "cleaners" that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: