'Regedit locked by Administrator'

G

I get this message when I try to run regedit, or when new software is trying to update the registry
What does it mean? I'M the Administrator!
I've looked at the profiles, and there ARE two: (1) My Name/Administrator; and (2) My name/Carroll-Home
The only one it will let me delete though is #1
When I try to log out and back on with another "identity," the only choices I get are My Name and Guest
(If and when I ever again get to log on as administrator, I also need to know how to UNLOCK the regedit command.
BACKGROUND: My "new" system is XP Home (from Windows 98), and I've also recently added McAffee with firewall
Don't know if either of these details are important. Got new XP driver for my scanner and it seemingly registere
without a problem, but a new driver for my Iomega Zip Drive won't even load for not being able to update the registry
HELP, PLEASE!

K

Kaylene aka Taurarian

Hi Carroll, perhaps this will help

http://www.dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/regtools.htm
You can download a script here for the Registry
See also:
www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Windows XP Security Console

Carroll said:
I get this message when I try to run regedit, or when new software is trying to update the registry.
What does it mean? I'M the Administrator!
I've looked at the profiles, and there ARE two: (1) My Name/Administrator; and (2) My name/Carroll-Home.
The only one it will let me delete though is #1!
When I try to log out and back on with another "identity," the only choices I get are My Name and Guest.
(If and when I ever again get to log on as administrator, I also need to know
how to UNLOCK the regedit command.)
BACKGROUND: My "new" system is XP Home (from Windows 98), and I've also
recently added McAffee with firewall.
Don't know if either of these details are important. Got new XP
driver for my scanner and it seemingly registered
without a problem, but a new driver for my Iomega Zip Drive won't even
load for not being able to update the registry.

Ask a Question