Windows XP Reformat system drive?

Reaction score
Hello!

My problems started with this error:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

That I got when I tried to install a new software. No fixes I could find worked (including running msiexec.exe /unregister and msiexec.exe /regserver) but actually seemed to cause harm to my computer. It got really slow to the point of unuseability, so I figured I needed to do a system repair. Didn't work out that well, it kept hanging at 34 minutes of device installing for a couple of hours. Managed to get around it (no idea how, think it might have been franticly plugging and unplugging the USB mouse. Maybe it got destracted), finished the repair only to find that the error was still there, the system seemed as confused as ever.
I wanted to avoid a clean install since I reformatted just before Christmas. Annoying thing is, the only part of my computer that needs reformating is the system part, which is on a separate partition. All the other partitions are absolutely fine, no viruses, not even fragmented. So is it possible to reformat just the C: drive which only carries the OS and a few measly drivers?

Plx to halp?
/Hammerhead

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yes.

happywave.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
err, don't forget, back-up any important data anyway ... I once formated the wrong drive, good job I had it backed up.

;)

Ask a Question