Recording TV

Reaction score
Hey,

I would quite like something for recording TV, not sure what to get though. My parents had a DVD recorder, however it was fairly crap! Can you get Hard Drive recorders now and are they any good?

Cheers.

Bodhi

Reaction score
TV Recorder

I am looking for a way to record TV. I do not really need a freeview box, just wanted something with a hard drive for recording tv. I saw this below and thought it would be perfect, although one of the feedback comments said it wasn't to be used for a stand alone tv recorder.

Anyone know if there is anything out there which just does this? Just a little box for recording tv that you can put any HD in?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140316

Reaction score
Haha, I have been keeping an eye on that Ian, although they're not sold out!! Boo Hoo!!

What I would quite like is something which is basically the size of an external hard drive, but is geared towards being used as a TV recorder. The one from Ebuyer looked quite good, although i'm not convinced.

Anyone use anything like this, or have any ideas?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've got one of These in my media computer, it works well, very pleased with it.

Of course, it records to your hard disk so you may need some extra space if your hard disk(s) is almost full.

It is a bit pricey I'll admit but it's a quality product.

If you don't mind a single tuner and no remote control, you can get This for a lot cheaper.

Note that the card in the second link uses your computer's CPU to process the TV signal whereas the card in the first link does that onboard.

As a rough guide 1Gb HDD space = 1 hour recorded TV.

Reaction score
I only have a laptop Flopps, but thanks.

Could anyone have a look at my second post and have a look at the link. Would that work as a TV recorder do you reckon? I just want to be able to record and play back TV in the same quality that it is shown in.

Thanks.

Bodhi

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had another look at that device you linked to but can't quite fathom it out myself.

You do have to add a SATA drive, that's for sure, as it comes empty.

What I can't figure is whether it has a tuner or not but I don't think it has.

I get the impression you'd need a tuner card/device to record from.

Best phone E-Buyer and ask them, they're quite easy to get through to nowadays.

Alternatively, if you have enough space on your laptop's hard disk to record to, there's this external USB tuner to consider at around £32.00. Link

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Note: I think that tuner I linked to isn't digital/freeview cos it isn't mentioned.

If it's analogue only it's not worth getting as analogue broadcasts are being phased out gradually across the UK.

Still, a similar freeview device might suit you, I'm sure they're out there.

Reaction score
Cheers Floppy, I was trying to avoid having something on my laptop as I have a nice big 32" TV and just fancied something i could record stuff from occasionally.

Looks like forking out a £100-200 on a PVR is the only option.

Ask a Question