LCD TV's

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im moving into a nice big new room and i want to get myself a TV to replace my massive old Sony CRT. Good TV but scart socket is starting to require much wigglage to get working.

Im going to get myself an LCD, either 27" or 32" me thinks. Just wondered what you educated folks thought of it all. What should i look out for and what to avoid in terms of makes, models, features etc etc.

Your help will be much appreciated as i do not want to buy a TV where the picture looks like lego.

Cheers peeps.

Bodhi.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Bodhi

RE your Lego comment,

If your not gonna feed an LCD with a HD source such as Sky HD then I wouldn't bother, as the picture quality from a terrestrial tv signal is far inferior on an LCD screen than on a good quality CRT like your large Sony...

Although if your tv scart socket is dodgy you would save far more money hundreds of pounds if you just got an engineer in to repair the dodgy scart socket...Thats if it can be repaired that is....

I have seen lots of LCD's with standard tv picture on them and they all look terrible and pixelated...They only come alive when you put a HD source into them, and thats gonna cost ya...

Reaction score
I probably wont put an HD source into it to be honest. Ive seen some LCD's which look crap, but ive also seen a lot which look really good. I was thinking of getting a samsung 27 or 32 inch. One of my mates has a 32" one and it looks good.

Would rather not get the scart fixed as it only has one, and with a few things to plug in i need to keep swapping them, would rather get a new tv. Althoguh as you say, dont want to spend £500 if the picture will be shocking.

Reaction score
Agreed that many LCD's look bad with non-high definition inputs, but not all.

I was in John Lewis the other day and the Panasonic TX-32LXD70 32" LCD looked a cut above with normal imputs. It didnt require High definition.

Reaction score
Yeah one of my mates has a 42" LCD TV, but doesn't get sky until next month. Picture looks bloody awful.

At the moment I'm happy with our 1979 Bang & Olufsun. Its a great stonking beast and seems to be made of pig iron, but its the most reliable piece of electonics I have ever known, or porbably ever will.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I love the Samsungs I think they have the best picture quality of all the LCD's IMO...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SAMS-LE32R72BDX

What does anyone thing of this? Looks pretty good to me??

Bodhi

That's exactly the one I have my eye on atm. It has a PC input which I need.

And for 500 smackers it's something of a bargain, I reckon.

I saw it working at the London Bridge branch of Richer Sounds this afternoon and it looked good. I didn't think to ask whether they were feeding it a HD signal or not though.

I have a Goodmans 26" widescreen CRT TV here which has hardly been used in the four years I've owned it.

Wonder what the odds are on me being able to sell it? Not a lot I reckon, which is a shame cos it has a great picture.

I agree with crazylegs as well, Samsung's have best pic quality I've seen, most of my friends have Samsungs, which must say something.

Reaction score
Yeah, my mate has a Samsung 32" and it's really good quality without HD. Thats why i dont understand when some people say that ALL lcd's are crap, ive seen some really bad ones, but i guess they wouldnt be selling so many if they were crap, would they?! :-/

I want one and i reckon samsung 32" would be quality.

Reaction score
Samsung

crazylegs said:
I love the Samsungs I think they have the best picture quality of all the LCD's IMO...
"Ditto"

I agree Samsung are very good IMHO and the do well in the reviews. :thumb:

Reaction score
Just a thought - if you Google - "LCD TV"+Reviews - you will see that there are many review sites where you can gauge peoples opinions on the wide range of LCD TV's.

Reaction score
Just purchased an LG two weeks ago..

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...oduct&fm=11&sm=0&tm=0&sku=642217&category_oid=

It was a toss-up between LG or Samsung I sat in the shop for two hours watching one then the other but I opted for LG, and am not disapointed easy set-up brilliant picture and sound is mind boggling even with terrestrial. on HD BBC I watched "Pride" [lions]the picture was absolutely stunning....:eek: Thats just my opinion anyways:thumb:

Reaction score
Nice one. I was looking at LG too. Although i didn't spend 2 hours in the store watching them. I bet the shop assistant was happy you bought it in the end! haha.

Im looking for a 32", so if anyone sees any bargains, it would be appreciated! ;-)

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Nice one. I was looking at LG too. Although i didn't spend 2 hours in the store watching them. I bet the shop assistant was happy you bought it in the end! haha.

Im looking for a 32", so if anyone sees any bargains, it would be appreciated! ;-)

Do what I did get the web price print and match at the store. I had 42" LCD LG +stand+dvd recorder+surround sound 5.1 and all the bits and bobs =£999.99:lol: :thumb: as compared with £1499.99 chuffed I am:D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Right Bodhi if you follow my instructions you'll bag yourself a beast of a samsung 40" no less...:D

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/951546

Samsung LE40R73BD 40" High Definition Digital LCD TV!!

Go to deal via link and it'll be £799. uncheck scart lead and add tv to basket.

Add price match code: 951546TVG

Then add code: yaw690 for a further 5% off.

Delivery is free and the final price ends up at £693.49

I'm no expert but this is a brilliant deal for a 40" LCD with freeview, Samsung name too.. I'm very tempted to use my flexible friend and go for it too!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Now i'm tempted, thats a steal CL! :thumb:

Great find.

Reaction score
That is a good find mate, but i think £700 for a TV is a little out my budget at the moment. :-(

I was hoping to get a 32" and not spend more than 500 squid. :)

Reaction score
itsme said:
Try these http://www.dixons.co.uk/ print out the price take it to currys they will match the price;)

laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question