Home Entertainment Thingy

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I have a nice TV at home, which I have my PS3 plugged into. I use it for games (obviously) and also for watching blu ray movies and listening to music (MP3s) etc.

I am having a party for new year and wanted to play my MP3s off a USB drive through the PS3 and TV. However, the TV isn't going to offer that great sound to be honest.

I was wondering, would I be able to buy a 5 speaker surround system that would take over the sound from the TV? I don't need the DVD or Blu Ray drive as I have the PS3, so do I just need speakers? Bit confused really.

Thanks.
Bodhi

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Does your existing loudspeaker system only consist of the TV's loudspeaker's then?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Think your gonna need an AV Amp too maybe...

Reaction score
Yes, currently all sound just comes through the TV, very basic. Was just looking for a way to beef up the sound so that all sound comes through external speakers so when I watch TV, listen to music, watch films that the speakers do the work.

Reaction score
The one thing I'm not sure about, is how do these systems plug in? So, if I bought a home theatre thing I would play music or dvds through that and the sounds and picture would come out of that. The sound and picture is currently coming out of the PS3 and using the TV as both the sound and video output. I want to continue to use the tv for video (obviously), but want to beef up the speakers. So would the speaker system plug into the PS3, does that even work?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!! :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The way your system would connect is to have the video going to your TV from the video out on your PS3 and the Audio out from PS3 would go to the speakers (essentially the Subwoofer unit via RCA) so the sould would be coming from the speakers.

Not sure what kind of connection you have on your PS3 and how you are using it. I have not used a game console in years but I know that these consoles have component connections as well as audio and video (composite out) connections. If you could elaborate a bit someone could guide you about it who uses PS3 but sure you can hook it up.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you went for a 'computer style' loudspeaker setup you'd either have the PS3 or the TV plugged into it but you wouldn't be able to have both connected at once.

For that you'd need - as V_R pointed out - an AV (Audio Visual) amplifier and a set of loudspeakers. You would then take audio out from the PS3 and TV to two AV Amp inputs and switch between the two as required. If you were happy with just stereo sound a normal stereo amplifier and speakers would do the trick, AV Amps that feed 5.1 and 7.1 loudspeaker systems tend to be more expensive than two channel amps.

I have my home TV set up with an Xbox 360 and the sound for both the TV Tuner channels and the Xbox 360 only comes out of the TV's optical audio output. So I use an optical to analogue converter (about £47.00 on Ebay) and take audio out from from TV to the converter and the analogue out from the converter to one channel of my stereo amplifier.

And it sounds very good :)

Good luck.

Ask a Question