Which HDTV on a budget

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope all is well within PCR.

I'm after a new HDTV for the bedroom, nothing too fancy but something that will be able to handle the PS3 well.

Mainly play FIFA and COD, but others from time to time as well.

I have a budget of around £350 and would like the TV to be around 40" in size. Im not too fussed about features but would prefferably like a TV with FreesatHD in-built.

Soooo, any recomendations? I've had a little look myself but really have no idea what i'm looking at so i've come to the experts!

Thanks for your time,

G~MAN​

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've always been a Samasung person, but do quite like Panasonic aswell. Just go to your local electrical store (PC World, Currys, Comet, Tesco's) and look for a Samsung or Panasonic that is 1080p and in your budget really, you can't go far wrong.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Tellies are really quite cheap atm. I'm using an LG 37" with my Xbox 360 atm and it's excellent.

As RS said, most HD TV's will do but make sure it has at least two (preferably more) HDMI inputs.

Plus - and this is a big factor for gaming - try and get a model that has 100Hz scanning or if you're really feeling flush 200Hz scanning.

The scan rate is a big influence on console gameplay, the better it is the better frame rate and presentation the console will have. My TV has 100Hz scanning and the Xbox 360 performs flawlessly.

Try looking at and SuperFi & Richer Sounds

btw, if anybody tries to sell you an HDMI lead for £30 or more, refuse cos you can pick 'em up for a fiver at many places, including Ebay & E-Buyer.

And finally, if the TV is primarily for gaming you won't need 3D.

Reaction score

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Out of those two i'd probably take the Samsung....

But, if your buying a TV, you need to got and LOOK at it, play with the remote, make sure it can do what you want it to. :)

Reaction score
Richer Sounds:thumb:
If if it's cheaper else where haggle with them.
Great customer service & the best at their game.:D

Reaction score
Richer Sounds:thumb:
If if it's cheaper else where haggle with them.
Great customer service & the best at their game.:D

The set is unavailable online, and there isn't one close to where I live :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is the refresh rate really noticable Floppy, shall I hold out for a TV with 100?

To be honest I haven't seen a console on a TV with 50Hz scanning so I'm not in a position to make a comparison. All I can say is mine works well. Mate of mine has a Panasonic 32" with 100Hz scanning and his Playstation 3 works well with that as well.

Sorry can't be of more help.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As for the 100Hz refresh rate I couldn't get a comprehensive answer but I did come across This which gives food for thought.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've always gamed on my TV's at 60hz and never had a problem, When I got 100hz I couldn't tell the difference to be fair.

HDMI ports are good to have plenty of! I've got my DVD player, TiVo box and 360 all taking up HDMI slots and the Wii using the component HD slot. Getting to the back of my TV is a major event which involves plenty of swearing so I'm glad I dont need to go there often :p

Reaction score
I went for the first LG linked in the end, purely because when I looked today its price had dropped to £300 which originally was my maximum budget!

Hoping it to be a success, a bit sceptical about the 50hz refresh rate but then i may not even notice!

Thanks for your help once again

Geoooo

Ask a Question