Recommendations for a photo software package

Harry Gordon

I hope this is a good NG for this request, if not, I certainly will welcome
your directions to a more appropriate one.

I was given a Kodak digital camera for Christmas (first one I've ever
owned). I installed the Kodak EasyShare software for processing the pictures
(creating albums, editing, etc.) but I am not really impressed with it. I
have been doing some research on other applications and almost everyone has
both positive and negative reviews :-(.

I'm looking for some recommendations on what software packages to consider
as well as what to stay away from. I have read reviews on the Roxio Easy
Media Center, MS PictureIt vs. 10, and Photo Explosion Deluxe, along with a
few others. Having looked at the reviews, I would now like to hear from
individuals thier experience and recommendations for the various packages.

One of my primary desires is for the package to literally move the picture
from one folder to another and not just create an address pointer and will
show the name of the picture along with the picture when using THUMBNAIL or
preview, not to mention the normal editing features.

Thanks for your help.

Harry

David Candy

I use windows. Those programs all duplicate windows functions (ie My Pictures). I use Paint and Photoeditor and have for years.

Yves Alarie

1. To move photos to another folder
Open My Computer and open the folder
Select the files you want to move.
Look at the menu on the left under File and Folder task
Click on Move
A window will open for you to select the folder you want or make a new
folder.
2. To see the file name in thumbnail view if you don't see them now.
Open the folder in thumbnail view
Click on the View icon and change view to details
Hold the shift key down and click on the view icon and click on thumbnails.
File name should now be under each thumbnail.

Software:
Roxio. Not what you want. Very good to copy to CD or DVD but not great photo
editor.
MS 10. If you are a beginner this is what you want (about $50.00 now with
rebates). Not the greatest manual but great "as you edit" help and will
prevent you from making mistakes. If you are a beginner, don't edit original
photos, make a copy of the file and edit the copy.
Photo explosion. I have no idea about this.
If you want to have some fun with photos you can download Photo Story 3 for
free.

Graham Hughes

As has been said, windows is the best one for moving the pictures around.
What sort of experience have you with photography / photo editing software
anyway, if it's quite a bit you may consider photoshop elements, or even teh
full photoshopcs programme. Both excellent, but will take some learning if
you have no expereince.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I use windows. Those programs all duplicate windows functions (ie My
Pictures). I use Paint and Photoeditor and have for years.

Harry Gordon

I have very little - entry level novice - experience with working with
photos. So from that perspective, the package needs to be user friendly but
at the same time powerful enough to make it worth while (if that makes any
sense).

I have been working with Windows since the old 3.1 days and consider myself
an expert with Windows Explorer and setting up of folders and moving/coping
files, displaying contents, etc. I never considered "My
Pictures/Paint/etc.," as an option only because I have never used them to
any great extent, and certainly not to the extent of what I now need :).

With the suggestion that David offered (thank you, David) I took a serious
look at My Pictures and then felt like a fool for not thinking of that
myself. For file handling, it does exactly what I want. Also, I took a look
at the version of MS PictureIt 2000 that I already have along with Paint and
MS Photo Editor. In looking at all of the various editing options they have,
I need to do some homework on what many of the editing terms mean. Of course
there is nothing like the good old trial-and-error approach :).

Thanks.

Harry

Harry Gordon

Yves,

Thank you for your guidance. I'm sorry if I gave the impression I didn't
know how to move files, etc. I prefer the "back door" approach to file
handling and that is through Explorer. No, it isn't user friendly and you
have to be careful, but it is the way I learned :) and it works great for
me. As I replied to Graham, I've been using Windows since the 3.1 days and
back then you had to use Explorer, although that wasn't what it was called
then, to move/copy files and set up folders. I guess I'm just an "old dog
that doesn't like to learn new tricks :) ".

Your suggestions under Software is what I was really looking for. Thank you.

Harry

Yves Alarie

No problem.
The difference between your version of Picture it and Picture It 10 is huge.
Editing tools in version 10 are simply superb and easy to use. If you are
thinking of printing, version 10 has all the tools, including automatic
color management for printing and all kinds of add-on such as mats, frames,
collage, panorama, etc. etc. etc.
Unfortunately, Microsoft will not let you download it for a free trial
version, like most photo editing software companies do.

David Candy

I looked at several "album" programs. They were all harder to use than windows and offered nothing that a right click in my pics on a photo didn't . You can change thumbnail size in My Pics. Look in Tweakui.

Byron Hinson

Harry said:
[...]

Basic photoshop (adobe photography) packages are pretty good, personally
avoice MS Paint or any basic Windows programs to do anything with photos
you take if I were you. Some of the photos i've done on my site below in
my sig were just directly taken off of adobe photoshop or basic camera
programs that came with my camera.

I received Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10 as a gift and if you take the
time to read the manual it is an excellent programs. There were great
discounts on it plus rebates on it at CompUSA