Chocolatey Package Manager

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
For a long time, I've used Ninite to provision Windows with software that I regularly use on a fresh install (Chrome, PDF Reader, etc...). It saves a huge amount of time to download 10+ common apps and install them without any bundled junk, all within a couple of clicks. I'll still continue to use this in many cases, but I've finally made the move to https://chocolatey.org/ on my main PC. Chocolatey is a package manager for Windows, with almost 8000 common software packages available.

If you're a linux user, it's very similar to using "apt-get", but from the Windows PowerShell.

Although it's primarily a command line application, there's a Chocolately GUI available that makes things even easier. I can browse for any software I want and then install it with a single click. The big advantage is that I can keep the application up to date with another click, should a newer version become available. Package manager installs mean that you don't need to go though the usual install process of an application, i.e. run through setup and click "next, agree, next" etc... It just installs to wherever you have configured Chocolatey to install things (usually Program Files).

Here's a screenshot of my GUI:

Capture.PNG

So far, I'm very impressed with how it works. It'll save me a lot of time keeping applications up to date, as well as making it so easy to bulk install software.

Thought some others may find this useful :).

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That looks like it would be a really useful time-saver.

(And who could resist a name like "Chocolatey!") :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That looks like it would be a really useful time-saver.

Just thought I'd check to see if there were any updates today, and there were 3 apps that needed updating... one click later and it was all done :). Really pleased with this, it's a nice package manager - much better than these "software updater" apps.

Why on earth the Windows store can't behave like this I have no idea.

And who could resist a name like "Chocolatey!"
Yep, makes it even better :D.

Ask a Question