"This installation package could not be opened."

Jason H.

I just reformatted my Vista machine last night and I'm running on clean
install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I'm attempting to install some of my
regular programs but I keep running into issues and the installations are
failing with the following error:

"This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application
vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I'm up-to-date in terms of Windows
updates, I've tried running the installs as administrator, I'm configured as
an administrator on the local machine and domain and I've even disabled UAC.
Anybody? Thanks!

- JH

Richard G. Harper

Disabling UAC will cause some installers to fail unpredictably. Re-enable
it and use "Run as Administrator" on those installers and see if that helps.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your post as well as to Mark and Richard for the information
sharing.

I'd like to ask you few questions in order to narrow down the issue.

1. Does this issue occur when you install some specific programs or all
programs?

2. Could you please tell me in detail what programs could not be installed?

3. Dose the issue exist when you login system with Administrator account?

Analysis and Suggestion
======================

1. If this issue just occurs when install some specific programs, please
check whether the programs have any compatible issues with Windows Vista.

2. If this issue occurs when install any programs, this might be caused by
the reason that the Windows Installer is damaged.

Please try the following steps to reregister Windows Installer.
2.1 Start -> All Programs -> Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and
click Run as administrator.
2.2 Type "msiexec /unregister" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
2.3 Type "msiexec /regserver" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

3. Please login as Administrator and have another test.

4. Please also try the methods shared by Mark and Richard.

When you finish the test, please let me know the result. Thanks for your
time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "Jason H." <[email protected]>
| Subject: "This installation package could not be opened."
| Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 13:52:40 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| I just reformatted my Vista machine last night and I'm running on clean
| install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I'm attempting to install some of my
| regular programs but I keep running into issues and the installations are
| failing with the following error:
|
| "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application
| vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."
|
| Any ideas as to why this is happening? I'm up-to-date in terms of
Windows
| updates, I've tried running the installs as administrator, I'm configured
as
| an administrator on the local machine and domain and I've even disabled
UAC.
| Anybody? Thanks!
|
| - JH

Jason H.

That article Mark pointed me to was aimed at XP so some of the tips inside
weren't applicable. Everything that was applicable I tried but to no avail.
I did try unregister/reg the day before yesterday via the command prompt
(running as admin) and that didn't seem to help. To answer your question,
it seems that *most* of my installs are failing but not all of them.
Virtual PC 2007 failed as did Syncplicity but SnagIt 8.2 and Office 2007 did
install. (I got an error during the installs of SnagIt and Office but
apparently they both worked because I'm running the programs.)

If there's any other information or tips you have, I'd love to hear them.
Or, if you need any add'l info from me, I'm more than happy to provide it.
Thank you!

Jason H.

Hey, Richard. Thanks for the suggestion. Your message literally just
appeared in the last couple of hours...not sure why it didn't show up
before. I only disabled UAC *after* the installers were failing as I
thought that UAC might have been part of the problem. So, it appears as
though the installers aren't working regardless of whether UAC is enabled
(and run as admin) or not. Also, just as an example, these installs
(Syncplicity and Virtual PC 2007 as examples) have both been run previously
on a couple of different Vista PCs with UAC disabled. (One of the first
things I do anymore for new Vista installs is disable UAC. Getting prompted
two or three times just to create a new folder in Program Files isn't
something on which I'm keen.)

I have no idea what's going on. I've yet to finish getting all my
settings/files migrated back over so I may just try to reformat again. Sure
is a pain though...

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

Jason H. said:
I just reformatted my Vista machine last night and I'm running on clean
install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I'm attempting to install some of my
regular programs but I keep running into issues and the installations are
failing with the following error:

"This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application
vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I'm up-to-date in terms of
Windows updates, I've tried running the installs as administrator, I'm
configured as an administrator on the local machine and domain and I've
even disabled UAC. Anybody? Thanks!

- JH

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your update.

Based on my experience, your current issue might be caused by the reason
that Windows Installer has been damaged.

To resolve this issue, please replaced the following Registry keys with a
set from a working Vista Machine.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver

To do this, please do as follows:

1. Please try to backup the above registry key from another Windows Vista
Ultimate 32-bit machine which works well.

2. Please restore this key on your current server.

NOTE: As serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
incorrectly, please refer to the following KB article to back up the
registry before you modify it:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us

If you don't have other available Vista machines, please write an Email to
me at (e-mail address removed), I will send you the related registry key.

Thanks.

> [...]

| > Please try the following steps to reregister Windows Installer.
| > 2.1 Start -> All Programs -> Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and
| > click Run as administrator.
| > 2.2 Type "msiexec /unregister" (without quotation marks) and press
Enter.
| > 2.3 Type "msiexec /regserver" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
| >
| > 3. Please login as Administrator and have another test.
| >
| > 4. Please also try the methods shared by Mark and Richard.
| >
| > When you finish the test, please let me know the result. Thanks for your
| > time and I look forward to hearing from you.
| >
| > Sincerely,
| > Neo Zhu,
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | I just reformatted my Vista machine last night and I'm running on
clean
| > | install of Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I'm attempting to install some of
my
| > | regular programs but I keep running into issues and the installations
| > are
| > | failing with the following error:
| > |
| > | "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the
application
| > | vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."
| > |
| > | Any ideas as to why this is happening? I'm up-to-date in terms of
| > Windows
| > | updates, I've tried running the installs as administrator, I'm
| > configured
| > as
| > | an administrator on the local machine and domain and I've even
disabled
| > UAC.
| > | Anybody? Thanks!
| > |
| > | - JH
| > |
| > |

Jason H.

Hey there, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I exported
the key from my laptop (running the same OS) and imported it here on my
desktop...no dice. When trying to install Virtual PC 2007, for example, I
get an error message stating: "The system cannot open the device or file
specified."

I get an entirely diff. message when trying to install Syncplicity and
ANOTHER diff. message when trying to install the Windows Live suite: "There
was a problem with this installation. Windows Live Suite was not installed.
Code: 0x80070002. Description: The system cannot find the file specified."

I saw the following KB article but the "cause" section doesn't really relate
to me as the source and/or destination locations are not encrypted...nothing
is: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/834549.

Thanks for the suggestion though...I honestly thought that would have done
the trick.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

I need your great help to collect some information from the Vista machines
for further investigation.

Please follow the below steps:
==========================

1. Please kindly check the Vista version. To verify this information,
please just copy a screenshot for "Computer" -> "properties";

2. Since to install Virtual PC 2007 will call windows installer, I believe
a windows installer log will be helpful.

To enable windows installer log, please add a registry key as below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
Reg_SZ: Logging
Value: voicewarmup

For more information regards how to enable Windows Installer logging,
please refer to the following KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300/

3. After enabled windows installer log, please install Virtual PC 2007
again. And there will be log file generated in system temp folder (%temp%).
The file name of the log varies, but the file name begins with the letters
"Msi" and ends with a .log extension. Please kindly collect that file and
send to me at (e-mail address removed)

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Neo Zhu

> [...]

| > | weren't applicable. Everything that was applicable I tried but to no
| > avail.
| > | I did try unregister/reg the day before yesterday via the command
prompt
| > | (running as admin) and that didn't seem to help. To answer your
| > question,
| > | it seems that *most* of my installs are failing but not all of them.
| > | Virtual PC 2007 failed as did Syncplicity but SnagIt 8.2 and Office
2007
| > did
| > | install. (I got an error during the installs of SnagIt and Office but
| > | apparently they both worked because I'm running the programs.)
| > |
| > | If there's any other information or tips you have, I'd love to hear
| > them.
| > | Or, if you need any add'l info from me, I'm more than happy to provide
| > |

| > information

| > all

| > account?

| > please
| > Vista.

| > caused
| > by

Prompt
| > and
| > Enter.
| > Enter.

| > your

| > so

| > clean
| > my
| > installations
| > | > |
| > application
| > disabled
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Dear Customer,

Regarding your last email , I am just check and follow-up on your status.

I was wondering , if you were available to try conduct test and answer my
questions.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT])
| Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 09:16:53 GMT
| Subject: Re: "This installation package could not be opened."
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hello,
|
| Thank you for your feedback.
|
| I need your great help to collect some information from the Vista
machines
| for further investigation.
|
| Please follow the below steps:
| ==========================
|
| 1. Please kindly check the Vista version. To verify this information,
| please just copy a screenshot for "Computer" -> "properties";
|
| 2. Since to install Virtual PC 2007 will call windows installer, I
believe
| a windows installer log will be helpful.
|
| To enable windows installer log, please add a registry key as below:
|
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
| Reg_SZ: Logging
| Value: voicewarmup
|
| For more information regards how to enable Windows Installer logging,
| please refer to the following KB article:
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300/
|
| 3. After enabled windows installer log, please install Virtual PC 2007
| again. And there will be log file generated in system temp folder
(%temp%).
| The file name of the log varies, but the file name begins with the
letters
| "Msi" and ends with a .log extension. Please kindly collect that file and
| send to me at (e-mail address removed)
|
| Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
|
| Regards,
| Neo Zhu
|
| Sincerely,
| Neo Zhu,
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Jason H." <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: "This installation package could not be opened."
| | Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:24:42 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| | get an error message stating: "The system cannot open the device or
file
| | specified."
| |
| | I get an entirely diff. message when trying to install Syncplicity and
| | ANOTHER diff. message when trying to install the Windows Live suite:
| "There
| | was a problem with this installation. Windows Live Suite was not
| installed.
| | Code: 0x80070002. Description: The system cannot find the file
specified."
| |
| | I saw the following KB article but the "cause" section doesn't really
| relate
| | to me as the source and/or destination locations are not
| encrypted...nothing
| | is: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/834549.
| |
| | Thanks for the suggestion though...I honestly thought that would have
| done
| | the trick.
| |

| | > Thank you for your update.
| | >
| | > Based on my experience, your current issue might be caused by the
reason
| | > that Windows Installer has been damaged.
| | >
| | > To resolve this issue, please replaced the following Registry keys
with
| | > set from a working Vista Machine.
| | >
| | > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver
| | >
| | > To do this, please do as follows:
| | >
| | > 1. Please try to backup the above registry key from another Windows
| Vista
| | > Ultimate 32-bit machine which works well.
| | >
| | > 2. Please restore this key on your current server.
| | >
| | > NOTE: As serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
| | > incorrectly, please refer to the following KB article to back up the
| | > registry before you modify it:
| | >
| | > How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
| | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us
| | >
| | > If you don't have other available Vista machines, please write an
Email
| | > me at (e-mail address removed), I will send you the related registry key.
| | >
| | > Thanks.
| | >
| | > Sincerely,
| | > Neo Zhu,
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | > =====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > =====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.
| | >
| | > --------------------
| | > |
| | > inside
| | > avail.
| prompt
| | > question,
| 2007
| | > did
| | > |
| | > them.
| | > it.
| | > |
message

| | > information

| | > all

| | > account?

| | > please
| | > Vista.

| | > caused
| | > by

| Prompt
| | > and
| | > Enter.
| | > Enter.

| | > your

| newsreader
| | > so

| | > clean
| of
| | > my
| | > installations
| | > | > |
| | > application
package."
| | > | > |
| | > disabled
| | > | > |
| | > | > |
| | > | > |

| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

Martin T

Hi

I get the same answer trying to install MS NM31_Release_x86.msi on a Win
Server 2008.
What is most annoying is that the same package is installed on my XP and
Server 2003 versions.

Since this is a MS product, surely, I cannot be the only one getting this
error message.

Yours truly,