Microsoft Office 2013

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Microsoft have announced the UK selling price for Microsoft Office 2013 - a whopping £390 if you want the 'Professional' package! Interestingly though they have also announced a subscription based service so that instead of buying the software, you can pay either an annual or monthly subscription and use all the latest Office products. Office 365 will cost £79.99 a year or £7.99 a month - a discounted annual rate of £59.99 is available for students too. Subscribers are also provided with 20GB of SkyDrive cloud storage for their documents and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

Given that the subscription allows you to use the software on up to 5 PCs then for some people it might be a worthwhile investment.

Interesting article looking at whether it is worth subscribing on Time:

Should You Subscribe to Microsoft Office 365?

Alternatively you can just use Open Office which is free!

Reaction score
Still use MS Office 2000 which i bought as a student for £100 whilst doing ECDL.:D
Do have office 2010 Pro Plus which i got through work for a lot less, but lost the key code!:(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OpenOffice has largely fallen by the wayside in favour of Libre Office ... Libre Office is a derivative of OpenOffice and supported by those that left Sun/Oracle.

I don't think there is a Linux distro that doesn't have Libre Office these days installed as a default.

As for MS Office, I have the 1997 version. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
OpenOffice has largely fallen by the wayside in favour of Libre Office ... Libre Office is a derivative of OpenOffice and supported by those that left Sun/Oracle.

I don't think there is a Linux distro that doesn't have Libre Office these days installed as a default.

As for MS Office, I have the 1997 version. :)

Interestingly enough Open Office may be having a second wind.

Fedora To Look At Reviving Apache OpenOffice
One of the proposals is to offer Apache OpenOffice in Fedora 19. The feature proposal isn't about defaulting to OpenOffice over LibreOffice, but rather to just get it packaged again for Fedora.

The expressed reasoning for packaging OpenOffice again comes down to: "Donated by Oracle to the Apache Software Foundation in 2011, it is now developed and supported by a thriving community; it graduated from the Apache Incubator in October 2012 and it is now an Apache Top-Level Project. Two new versions, 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, were released in the last 8 months and a major update, 4.0, is in the works and scheduled for April 2012. Versions 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 totalled 35 million downloads so far (not counting mirrors)."

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI4ODI

:)

Ask a Question