Recieing Fax or Phone

G

Using winxp fax console, all calls are anwered as faxes. If I set to answer manually then I would have to be there all of the time? What if I,m away and get a call that my answering machine would normally pick up? I set the fax to pick up after one ring thinking that other calls would get picked up by my answering machine set to 2/4 rings. This way I would get faxes after one ring and all other calls would go through. I guess I was wrong. I hate to have to hook up my separate fax machine again and abandon the computer fax program. I thought it would be so much handier, not having to by ink rolls and paper for the fax machine.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

HOW TO: Enable and Configure the Fax Service in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306550

Please visit the Fax experts in the Fax newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Using winxp fax console, all calls are anwered as faxes. If I set to answer manually then I would have to
be there all of the time? What if I,m away and get a call that my answering machine would normally pick up?
I set the fax to pick up after one ring thinking that other calls would get picked up by my answering machine
set to 2/4 rings. This way I would get faxes after one ring and all other calls would go through. I guess I
was wrong. I hate to have to hook up my separate fax machine again and abandon the computer fax program. I
thought it would be so much handier, not having to by ink rolls and paper for the fax machine.

J

John A

The XP native fax software is not sophisticated enough for what you
want to do - you need to obtain 3rd party fax/voice software that will
take all calls and determine whether a call is a fax or voice call.
Your computer will then become your answering machine as well.

John Allen

Ask a Question