Rearranging the furniture: PWH and wiki

Susan Bugher

I've been rearranging the furniture (again). . . ;)

aka the PWH Links, Webware and Search Tips pages:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Links.php (newsgroups and information)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Webware.php (online software)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/SearchTips.php (finding freeware)

I removed links on those pages that didn't seem to fit well. There are now several new pages in the
wiki that are topic specific: Linux, Macintosh, Open Source, File Archives and "last freeware
version" sites, and Useful Sites (Program updates, drivers, Codecs, DLLs etc.)

I am sure that there are valuable links that are not there (I'm not sure all the links I added are
needed). The information I added is posted below. I'm hoping the experts will add links and
comments, rearrange the web pages more logically etc. etc. Please post suggestions and/or revise the
wiki. IOW - I'm asking you guys to do the heavy lifting. . . ;)

TIA :)

Susan

-------------

http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=LinuxInfo

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. http://www.distrowatch.com

Links to Freeware - Freeware for Linux http://home.hccnet.nl/hmdejong/Linux.html
http://home.hccnet.nl/hmdejong/Linux2.html

Linux Distributions Guide http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

LinuxISO.org - A place to learn about, download, and discuss Linux. http://www.linuxiso.org

LinuxQuestions.org http://www.linuxquestions.org/

Loads of Linux Links http://loll.sourceforge.net/

The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/

Unix History http://www.levenez.com/unix/http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/forgot.php timeline; List of Unix
OS; UNIX links

Knowing Knoppix http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/knowing-knoppix/ The first guide to
Knoppix for the complete beginner

learn UNIX in 10 minutes http://freeengineer.org/learnUNIXin10minutes.html the basics commands for
getting started using the UNIX shell

Linux Tutorial http://www.lowfatlinux.com/ A tutorial for people who want to learn the basics of
using Linux without getting bogged down in too much detail or technobabble.

FrozenTech's LiveCD List http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

----------

http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=MacintoshInfo

Freshmeat: Mac OS
http://osx.freshmeat.net/
Freeware and $ware

Mac OS X Downloads - UNIX & Open Source
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/
Freeware and $ware

MacOS X Ports - Most Recent Additions
http://macosx.forked.net/
Freeware and $ware

Links to Freeware - Freeware for Mac
http://home.hccnet.nl/hmdejong/Mac.html

-----------

http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=OpenSource

Freshmeat
http://freshmeat.net/
Open Source software development website

SourceForge.net
http://sourceforge.net/
the world's largest Open Source software development website

TheOpenCD.org
http://www.theopencd.org/
TheOpenCD is a collection of high quality Free and Open Source Software. The programs run in Windows
and cover the most common tasks such as word processing, presentations, e-mail, web browsing, web
design, and image manipulation.

The OSSwin project: Open Source for Windows!
http://osswin.sourceforge.net/

---------------

http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=FileArchives

Last Freeware sites

321download.com: Last Freeware version
http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html

The Freeware Graveyard
http://fwg.raum108.de/

NeverExpires.com: Software Orphans
http://www.neverexpires.com/orphans/

The Mole Zone: Rareware
http://htmole.altervista.org/rareware.htm

WoundedMoon.org: Download older versions of freeware programs that went commercial!
http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html

File Archives

Slovak Antivirus Center (SAC) archive
ftp://ftp.elf.stuba.sk/pub/pc
Freeware and $ware

Slovak Antivirus Center (SAC) archive
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/pc
Freeware and $ware

Slovak Antivirus Center (SAC) archive
ftp://sac-ftp.gratex.sk/utiltext/

Sourceforge mirror
ftp://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/

Slovak Antivirus Center (SAC) archive
http://esca.atomki.hu/paradise/sac/index.html
Freeware and $ware

http://info.elf.stuba.sk/packages/pub/pc/educult/

Simtel.Net Archives
http://web.archive.org/web/19990502155435/ftp.funet.fi/mirrors/simtel.net/win95/index-win95-pre.html
Windows 95 Collection
Freeware and $ware

Simtel.Net Archives
http://web.archive.org/web/19990508165056/ftp.funet.fi/mirrors/simtel.net/
Freeware and $ware

District Twenty Software Download Database
http://www.d20.co.edu/downloads/idownload.html

FileLibrary.com
http://www.filelibrary.com/

Slovak Antivirus Center (SAC) archive
http://www.sac.sk
Freeware and $ware

The U-M Software Archives
http://www.umich.edu/~archive/
Apollo Archives; Apple II Archives; Atari Archives; Linguistics Archives; Macintosh Archives; MS-Dos
Archives; Physics Archives; X11 Archives

Bookcase
http://www.bookcase.com/library/software/

-------------

http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=UsefulSites

Find program updates

File Forum
http://fileforum.betanews.com/search

BetaNews
http://www.betanews.com/

Freeware Guide: Freeware Updates
http://www.freeware-guide.com/html/updates.html

Freeware updates
http://www.prospector.cz/updates/index.html

SnapFiles
http://www.snapfiles.com/whatsnewfw.html
Recently added and updated Freeware

Softpedia
http://www.softpedia.com/index.free.shtml

Codecs

Edskes File Download Mirror
http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Nimo's Codec Pack Website
http://nimo.titanesk.com/nimo

Theorica Software
http://theorica.click-now.net/codecs.htm
audio and video codecs

FreeCodecs.com
http://www.free-codecs.com/
video and audio codecs

RareWares
http://www.rarewares.org/
Mp3; AAC; Ogg Vorbis; Mpeg-4 and general media utilities compiles

DLLs

Paco's Drivers
http://pacosdrivers.com/dll.asp

DLLDownloads.com
http://webpromo-inc.com/dll-downloads/index.php

www.dllfiles.com
http://www.dll-files.com/

internethelp.net
http://www.internet-help.net/DLL_Files/
DLL links page

Drivers

Paco's Drivers
http://pacosdrivers.com/drivers.asp

CDROMDrivers.com
http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/
listings of cd-rom; cd-rw; and dvd drivers available on the web; organized by company.

DriverGuide.com
http://www.driverguide.com
searchable archive of over 100;000 driver files; manufacturer information; and links (password:
driver2/all)

ModemDrivers.com
http://www.modem-drivers.com/
modem driver files available on the web; organized by company.

PrinterDrivers.com
http://www.printer-drivers.com/
printer; plotter and multi-office equipment drivers available on the web; organized by company

ScannerDrivers.com
http://www.scanner-drivers.com/
scanner drivers available on the web; organized by company

WinDrivers.com
http://www.windrivers.com/
Device Drivers; Anti-Virus Updates and Security Patches

*********************

--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

old jon

Susan Bugher said:
[...]

List of Unix OS; UNIX links

[...]

Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Hengist_Ludd

Susan,

To the "reviews of organizers" you might want to add

Fred's Shack comments on outliners, plus how to set up ECCO
http://www.fredshack.com/docs/pim.html
(most comprehensive, but terse)

Fog Creek Software's organizing random notes discussion: part of Joel on
Software Web site
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=71582

John Faughnan's Web site on outliners/organisers, including MORE and
ThinkTank
http://www.faughnan.com/more/index.html
(focus on outliners)

None are solely devoted to freeware, but neither is John Buckman's site
that you list.

Susan Bugher

Hengist_Ludd said:
To the "reviews of organizers" you might want to add

Fred's Shack comments on outliners, plus how to set up ECCO
http://www.fredshack.com/docs/pim.html
(most comprehensive, but terse)

Fog Creek Software's organizing random notes discussion: part of Joel on
Software Web site
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=71582

John Faughnan's Web site on outliners/organisers, including MORE and
ThinkTank
http://www.faughnan.com/more/index.html
(focus on outliners)

None are solely devoted to freeware, but neither is John Buckman's site
that you list.

Thank you Hengist. :) :) :)

I think it's helpful to list sites that are often mentioned in the newsgroup as *the* place to find
Freeware related information (how-to etc.) on the ACF Links page - for the benefit of casual
visitors to the site. IMO we should keep the Links page short and sweet - I think the wiki is the
ideal place for most "topic related" links.

so. . . I've added another page to the wiki for Organizer/Outliner info and the link to John
Buckman's site has been removed from the Links page (revised page not yet uploaded).

http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=OrganizersOutliners

Organizers and Outliners

Fred's Shack comments on outliners, plus how to set up ECCO
http://www.fredshack.com/docs/pim.html
(most comprehensive, but terse)
(notes by Hengist_Ludd 2005-09-09)

Fog Creek Software's organizing random notes discussion: part of Joel on Software Web site
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=71582
(notes by Hengist_Ludd 2005-09-09)

John Faughnan's Web site on outliners/organisers, including MORE and ThinkTank
http://www.faughnan.com/more/index.html
(focus on outliners)
(notes by Hengist_Ludd 2005-09-09)

John Buckman's Overview of Windows Outlining Programs
http://john.redmood.com/organizers.html
A review of information management tools.

-------------

As you can see I've added "(notes by Hengist_Ludd 2005-09-09)" after *each* URL's description. I did
that to facilitate future additions/rearrangement of information. Dunno if there's a better way to
indicate who contributed what. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

old said:
Sorry for the top post. You`ll be changing the curtains next, won`t you <G>.

Nope - I could care less - but I've rearranged your post. . . <VBG>

Burnr does the "interior decorating" that keeps the web site looking good - be grateful. . . be
very grateful. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware