Realtek Media Test Failure

Reaction score
I recently picked up an HP ZD7000 that had its hard drive wiped according to who I got it from. Anyway, when I first tried booting it up it came up with a screen reading:

Intel Undi PXE-20 (build 082)

For Realtek RTL8139(x)/8130/810x PCI Fast Ethernet Controller
PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-MOF Exiting PXE Rom

After which it would flash and restart the process, printing out the error message once again. Going into the bios and resetting to default, reboot doing the same thing. Going back into the Bios to change the boot order, I've played around with the order and settings. When I disable the Network Card in the boot up procedure I get a blank black screen with only a

_

In the top left corner. I'm unable to call up the menu to enter safe mode but I'm guessing thats due to it being a laptop. If I press any other keys or functions while the screen is blank like that, I see a quick flash of the words 'No Operating System Installed'. I've run the quick Hard Drive test in the bios and it passed, running the long test now. I've had the recovery disk in the drive the whole time and even with the HD wiped it should at least let me get to a dos prompt.

I'm down to a few more options here unless somebody has something new, I'm wondering if I have to get a USB floppy to try a bootdisk on. And then the other option seems to be picking up a new Optical Drive. Arggh... anybody have any suggestions?

Ask a Question