Windows XP Read Only Memory, BSOD...Hmm?

Reaction score
So recently I've been getting BSODed constantly, and It's just really confused...before I've been getting a lot of RAM errors and such, but whenever I ran MEMTEST or those memory testers nothing would come up bad...so...I ended up borrowing some RAM from a friend of mine...then I've been getting a different BSOD which is this read-only one...It says...

An attempt was made to write to read-only memory.

Then recently it just says the Attempt was made to write read only memory...but then I noticed it said this last time...

Stop: 0x000000BE (0xE21B0008, 0x17EA2121, 0xF51CDA6C, 0x0000000B)

navex15.sys Address BA2BB7D6 base at BA264000, Date Stamp 47278cd8

I'm assuming either drivers are messed up...or maybe my Motherboard...processor...or hard drive are screwing up? Maybe I need to replace them?

I have...

Processor:
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Motherboard:
Micro-star International CO., LTD
MS-6570E
Chipset nVideo nForce2 Ultra 400

And I have a 120GB Seagate Hard drive...with about 25GB of free space left.

So...any ideas anyone? :\

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
A device driver attempted to write to read-only memory. This problem can occur during an upgrade, although it is not limited to upgrades.

I would uninstall Norton, make sure you use their own clean-up tool to eradicate Norton.

navex15.sys is part of Norton, a device driver ... it, err, probably got it's own agenda. ;)

Invest in a real AV program. :thumb:

However, if you are experiencing other stop error numbers, please post them also.

user.gif

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think it has to be some type of driver problem...thing is I use to use Two 256MB Hynix DDR Ram...now I recently got Two Kingston 512 DDR ram sticks...

Problem is though...if I put both sticks into my motherboard...my computer will rarely start up, and when it does it seems to run for about 5...10 minutes...going pretty slow, and then BSOD out with the read only memory error.

But then I tryed starting it in safe mode with both sticks of ram in it and it would start up and work just fine.

I'll do what you suggested, and uninstall nortan, and I'll post any other errors I get recently (Right now I only have 1 stick of RAM in and it seems to be working okay? :x)

(Oh, I also tried putting in my old ram too along with 1 of the new ones, and it won't load up now either...maybe the RAM is too good for my AMD Athlon 2600+? )

Reaction score
Also...I will go ahead and uninstall Norton, but do you know of any good Free Anti Virus programs I can download/install right now til I'm able to go get a new one?

Or think I'll be safe enough to not need one for about a week or so? :p

Reaction score
Please download a free anti-virus software from one these excellent vendors NOW:

1) Antivir PersonalEditionClassic
-Free anti-virus software for Windows.
-Detects and removes more than 50,000 viruses. Free support.
2) avast! 4 Home Edition
-Anti-virus program for Windows.
-The home edition is freeware for noncommercial users.
3) AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
-Free edition of the AVG anti-virus program for Windows.

Reaction score
Okay, I'm in the process of downloading and installing avast! for a AV software for now.

After that I'll most likely have to restart, where I'll try putting both the RAM sticks in...I'll keep you guys updated ^^

EDIT

Ahhhh Drat! I thought I'd be able to do all this and get responses quickly...but it looks like something came up for me...I'll be gone for a couple hours...bleh...I'll report back when I get back...turning computer off for now...

Thanks for the help so far guys I really appreciate it! ^^

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay! So far so good...I am finally able to put both 512MB of RAM into my computer and it seems to be running alright for now...I'll do some pretty video intensive stuff (photo editing, gaming, etc etc) and see if it holds up!

If all else works, then yes it was just Symantec/Norton that was screwing up my computer! :)

I'll report back tomorrow!

Ask a Question