Re-install I.E. 6.0

Andy

I think my ie 6.0 is corrupt.

I would like to reinstall it, but I can't find a way.

I used ie.inf to install and it says I have a newer version.

In IE 6.0, I used the restore default button and it said restored with errors.

I had problems with I.E. 7.0 messing up another program, so I really don't want to try a higher version.

Looking for suggestions.

Twayne

In
Andy said:
I think my ie 6.0 is corrupt.

I would like to reinstall it, but I can't find a way.

I used ie.inf to install and it says I have a newer
version.

In IE 6.0, I used the restore default button and it said
restored with errors.

I had problems with I.E. 7.0 messing up another program,
so I really don't want to try a higher version.

Looking for suggestions.

Same issues here; what are your symptoms?
Mine are:
== Newsgroups no longer show read/unread plain/bold message names but it
works OK in Inboxes. A few other newsgroup oddities too.
== Not enough caffiene load yet,but other little things wrong too.

== I'm wondering if Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, isn't "breaking" OE
on purpose to drive it out in favor of the crippled Live Mail or Outlook.
Since they've washed their hands of OE they don't really care if they break
it.
I'm also finding more and more websites that won't accept IE-8 any
longer, in favor of FireFox. Four so far have done that and a couple others
I suspect are the same too. These are highly rated and trusted sites too.

To "reinstall" OE, AFIK, you have to reinstall IE. I'm using IE-8 but the a
repaiir install and then a remove/reiinsatall was no help; and then of
course you have to get all the latest updates and all, or wait for them to
be sent as an MS Update. It was sort of a pain, especially since it fixed
nothing.
Perhaps it would work for you; so far I'm the only one I know with these
problems.

FireFox 18x is actually very good IMO and I don't mind useing it at all. It
imported all the IE stuff no problems.
But I cannot stand their Thunderbird mail client; if you have several
addresses it seems to be a royal pain to get to work right and the constant
"Allow" choices in the browser to get a web page to show is a PIA, but
workable.

I don't like Chrome; tried it. When I went to try to import things from
Chrome to IE it wouldn't let me! It's a lock-you-in kind of app and I won't
allow that.

So, I'm limping along with OE and OEQuoteFx until something better occurs to
me. If you find a fix, I hope you'll post ti here and let us all know; there
must be others with the same issues.

HTH,

Twayne`

Andy

In

[...]

Screen freezes sometime, very slow at times, bugs me to update explorer.

I think the description might be "undefined behavior."

I am considering deleting ie 6.0 and any associated files and then see if it will reinstall it. :)

Or maybe ie.inf will work and allow a reinstall of Incredibly.Exhausing.

Take care,
Andy

P.S. I am trying to find another hosts file that is current other than the
M.* one.

Nil

P.S. I am trying to find another hosts file that is current other
than the M.* one.

What do you mean "current"? The only "current" hosts file is whatever
you're using.

The default Windows hosts file has only one entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Andy

What do you mean "current"? The only "current" hosts file is whatever

you're using.

The default Windows hosts file has only one entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost

I am looking for a non-M.S. source of a hosts file.

Andy

Andy

In

[...]

I found a way to install i.e. 6.0 service pack 2 version from the install disk.

It worked for my XP Pro service pack 3 but I can't guarantee it would work for others.

Andy

Nil

I am looking for a non-M.S. source of a hosts file.

For what purpose? What do you hope to accomplish? If it's for
protection from malware, you will need to keep it updated frequently
and regularly. I use Spybot S&D for that.

Paul

Andy said:
Screen freezes sometime, very slow at times, bugs me to update explorer.

I think the description might be "undefined behavior."

I am considering deleting ie 6.0 and any associated files and then see if it will reinstall it. :)

Or maybe ie.inf will work and allow a reinstall of Incredibly.Exhausing.

Take care,
Andy

P.S. I am trying to find another hosts file that is current other than the
M.* one.

A "hosts" file is a supplement to the DNS lookup system.

For any Internet connection, the user may enter "www.sun.com",
but the computer needs numbers 137.254.16.113.

The computer might consult the DNS server at the ISP. In
a command prompt, you can observe this translation by
trying this...

nslookup www.sun.com

and the dialog returned, tells you where the DNS translation came
from. On a lot of setups, it appears your home router answered
the query, but there is a whole chain of connections to the main
sources of DNS information.

OK, so what does the hosts file do ?

It provides something to consult first. You can override translations,
by entering information in the hosts file. For example,

127.0.0.1 www.sun.com

What that entry in the hosts file does, is translate a request for
www.sun.com, into the loopback address. Effectively, the web
browser "asks" my own computer, on port 80, for the web site
information. And of course, my computer is not running a web
server, so there is no response to the query. By overriding
a translation, it "prevents" the web browser from going to the
site.

The default Microsoft file (similar to the default file in fact,
on other computer platforms), has stuff like

*******
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
*******

The first couple lines, are examples of what to enter. The
"localhost" line, provides a way for the computer to make a
"request to itself" or "localhost", to the loopback address
which is 127.0.0.1. An attempt to go to 127.0.0.1, results
in the query staying on the computer, and not leaving it.

To prevent a computer from going to dodgy sites, you can
get a list of malicious web sites as a "replacement hosts file".
It might have 800 lines like

127.0.0.1 banner.ad.nu

and that line is to prevent adverts from that site
from showing up. Microsoft does not distribute the
800 line file. A third-party site does. And, the file
needs daily updating, to be effective.

Some web browsers have a "Safe Browsing" feature, where
the browser checks a list and avoids going to dodgy sites.
So the basic "hosts" mechanism, can be implemented other
ways. But "hosts" is a means of doing it, that is tool
independent. If I had an Internet tool with no protection
mechanism of its own, I could add entries to the hosts file.

I presume, at some point, adding stuff to the hosts file
becomes a performance issue. I don't know how big the file
would have to be, for that to happen.

If you "cut off the adverts" from a web site, using the
hosts mechanism, sometimes the Javascript is set up to
not work, unless the adverts are served. If a web page won't
render properly, it could be in fact that the "hosts" file
contributed to the erroneous result. You can try putting back
the short hosts file the computer came with, if that is the case.

This is the hosts file, as it came on my WinXP SP3 installer disc.

*******
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
*******

Note that, the "hosts" file is not part of Internet Explorer.
The "hosts" file is a functional part of the OS, and is part of the
network services of that OS. The "hosts" file, gets applied
to any tool attempting to connect to the Internet. But it's
far from the primary source of protection, because the hosts
file method can never be even remotely close to being complete.
Plenty of malicious sites are never listed in a hosts file,
so it should never be your primary form of protection.
Your AV software, might give you better protection.
Basically, any method used, needs daily updating, no
matter what method it is. Because the "bad guys
never sleep".

HTH,
Paul

Andy

For what purpose? What do you hope to accomplish? If it's for

protection from malware, you will need to keep it updated frequently

and regularly. I use Spybot S&D for that.

I use a H.I.P.S. program for protection.

A little more thorough than Spybot.

Spybot relies heavily on signature files and some heuristics.

Twayne

In
Paul said:
Andy wrote:

A "hosts" file is a supplement to the DNS lookup system.

Well, not exactly. Look at it as a file that resides on your own computer,
containing a list of sites you want to prevent accessing. It works, and it
works well. Even some malware detectors use it, putting their own entries
into it.

It CAN get large enough to slow down the computer. The MS hosts file, for
instance, includes a short batch file that will prevent the speed loss, and
it works. I don't know if MS is the best, but I now have it finely tuned
with my own entries and it works extremely to my advantage.

The best thing to do, IMO, is learn how to make entries in your own hosts
file to add such addresses to it that you don't ever want to see agan on
your screen. Backk it up first, and then start making changes. It's a lot of
work at first to get them all sometimes, but eventually you'll hardly ever
touch it again.
No hosts file is perfect and isn't likey to have all the entries you
want. And they sometimes have sites blocked for vindictive or poliitical
reasons, so if a long-used site disappears, check the hosts file to see if
it's in there.

I don't understand all the DSN malarky that showed up here; it's not really
applicable to you case.

HTH,

Twayne`

Nil

I use a H.I.P.S. program for protection.

A little more thorough than Spybot.

Spybot relies heavily on signature files and some heuristics.

I don't use Spybot for its hosts and browser block lists grooming
features. I don't use it for general malware detection.

You completely avoided my question.

Nil

I don't use Spybot for its hosts and browser block lists grooming
features. I don't use it for general malware detection.

Mistype - I meant to say:

I DO use Spybot for its hosts and browser block lists grooming
features. I don't use it for general malware detection.

You completely avoided my question.

Andy

I don't use Spybot for its hosts and browser block lists grooming

features. I don't use it for general malware detection.

You completely avoided my question.

No, I didn't.

I simply chose not to answer your question.

Andy

happynews.com

For he will order his angels to protect you in all you do.
They will lift you up in their hands, so you will not slip
and fall on a stone.

Psalms 91:11,12

Nil

Thanks, I had been wondering if anyone else did a similar thing,
maintained a hosts file of known bad guys. Do you know how often it's
updated?

I still like Spybot, though. Not only does it update HOSTS, it updates
Firefox's and IE's internal lists as well. Their updates are weekly. I
don't care for or use Spybot for anything else, but that part of the
product seems to be effective and convenient.

Ken Blake, MVP

Thanks, I had been wondering if anyone else did a similar thing,
maintained a hosts file of known bad guys. Do you know how often it's
updated?

About once a month, or a little more often.

Ken

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>, Twayne
Same issues here; what are your symptoms?
Mine are:
== Newsgroups no longer show read/unread plain/bold message names but it
works OK in Inboxes. A few other newsgroup oddities too.
== Not enough caffiene load yet,but other little things wrong too.

Not an IE matter, unless you're using a web-based means of accessing
newsgroups, though of course if you decide to reload OE and find that
means IE, fairy nuff.
== I'm wondering if Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, isn't "breaking" OE
on purpose to drive it out in favor of the crippled Live Mail or Outlook.

I'm a bit puzzled how they could be doing that - with fake updates?
Since they've washed their hands of OE they don't really care if they break
it.
I'm also finding more and more websites that won't accept IE-8 any
longer, in favor of FireFox. Four so far have done that and a couple others
I suspect are the same too. These are highly rated and trusted sites too.

(My main gripe with IE is that it seems to slow down the whole PC,
whereas Firefox [and others] seem mostly only to slow down themselves,
when struggling with some website or other. Others' MMV.)
To "reinstall" OE, AFIK, you have to reinstall IE. I'm using IE-8 but the a
repaiir install and then a remove/reiinsatall was no help; and then of
course you have to get all the latest updates and all, or wait for them to
be sent as an MS Update. It was sort of a pain, especially since it fixed
nothing.

I'm not sure which version of IE stopped including OE. Also, OE _used_
to be available standalone. I _think_ that was up to OE5; since OE6/IE6
came integrated into XP, this _may_ be irrelevant (I think OE6 _could_
still be installed separately, though possibly only on '9x).
Perhaps it would work for you; so far I'm the only one I know with these
problems.

FireFox 18x is actually very good IMO and I don't mind useing it at all. It
imported all the IE stuff no problems.
But I cannot stand their Thunderbird mail client; if you have several

I think there are still other email clients!
addresses it seems to be a royal pain to get to work right and the constant
"Allow" choices in the browser to get a web page to show is a PIA, but
workable. Browser?

I don't like Chrome; tried it. When I went to try to import things from
Chrome to IE it wouldn't let me! It's a lock-you-in kind of app and I won't
allow that.

Me neither, if I can help it. (To be fair, I haven't tried Chrome
though.)
[]

Twayne

In
J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
In message <[email protected]>, Twayne

Not an IE matter, unless you're using a web-based means
of accessing newsgroups, though of course if you decide
to reload OE and find that means IE, fairy nuff.

Yeah, OE comes with IE. AFAIK there isn't any OE-only download available. I
did see a couple of them once, but they were from sites I'd never touch and
with terrible reputations.
I'm a bit puzzled how they could be doing that - with
fake updates?

Well, I will forever remember the hundreds of pirated copies of their OS's
that they mangled to uselessness in China to fight just that problem. But
then the bastards turned around and sold them legit licenses for only $30,
so who knows? THAT was done through Updates. If they can do that, they can
do anything. Like the way they forced win98 out of use and a few other
instances. I don't think Microsoft is above doing anything legal that's
within their interest.
Since they've washed their hands of OE they don't really
care if they break it.
I'm also finding more and more websites that won't
accept IE-8 any longer, in favor of FireFox. Four so far
have done that and a couple others I suspect are the
same too. These are highly rated and trusted sites too.

(My main gripe with IE is that it seems to slow down the
whole PC, whereas Firefox [and others] seem mostly only
to slow down themselves, when struggling with some
website or other. Others' MMV.)

I don't have that experience at all. Whether IE/OE is running or not, it
never slows anything down and Task Manager pretty much proves it for me the
times I checked it out. Helpers can sometimes slow things down if they're
allowed to load at boot time, but ... no problems here.
FF is slow itself, IME, but it doesn't slow down the machine overall
either unless you have too many always-on addons and tools loaded. I run
them both because some sites that are important to me are moving from IE to
FF for whatever reason, and others require IE. Like banking, etc.. Some seem
to think FF's security is so much better it's preferable to IE. Dunno; those
are my current experiences anyway.
I'm not sure which version of IE stopped including OE.
Also, OE _used_ to be available standalone. I _think_
that was up to OE5; since OE6/IE6 came integrated into
XP, this _may_ be irrelevant (I think OE6 _could_ still
be installed separately, though possibly only on '9x).

Actually, it's not an IE version that stopped including OE. It's the OS. Win
7 and up have replaces OE with the rather crippled and ornery Live Mail
which can't show quites properly and a few other things.
I think there are still other email clients!

Agreed, there are, and some very good ones, too. But I like the way OE is
written; it follows the way I like to work as long as OEQuoteFix is
installed for it.
Me neither, if I can help it. (To be fair, I haven't
tried Chrome though.)

It's easy enough to try out; I did. It is designed to make it seem faster in
the way it gets the first data to the screen faster, and the rest behind
that, assuming you won't have read that far yet.
If you try it, do not let it ever delete messages from the Server and
continue using your current mail client in parallel and allow that to do the
deletions and marking as "read".
then try exporting from Chrome into your old client, and see if it
worked. Chrome wouldn't allow that - so if you get too into it, you're stuck
with it forever. They never told me about that and queries went into a black
hole, so they are on my "never" list.

HTH,

Twayne`
[]

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Twayne said:
In

Yeah, OE comes with IE. AFAIK there isn't any OE-only download available. I

Well, it did from around OE6.
did see a couple of them once, but they were from sites I'd never touch and
with terrible reputations.

I think there was a trustworthy - though certainly not easy to find -
way of getting OE6 on its own. However, that was years ago; it probably
is no longer around, and as I said may only have been for pre-XP OSs
anyway.
Well, I will forever remember the hundreds of pirated copies of their OS's
that they mangled to uselessness in China to fight just that problem. But
then the bastards turned around and sold them legit licenses for only $30,

I think the bulk OEM licences for XP were reputed to be only that amount
or less (if you are Samsung or the like), around the time netbooks were
all the rage; certainly the same hardware with a free Linux OS wasn't
that much cheaper than with XP.
so who knows? THAT was done through Updates. If they can do that, they can
do anything. Like the way they forced win98 out of use and a few other
Hmm.
[]
(My main gripe with IE is that it seems to slow down the
whole PC, whereas Firefox [and others] seem mostly only
to slow down themselves, when struggling with some
website or other. Others' MMV.)

I don't have that experience at all. Whether IE/OE is running or not, it

Well, it's mainly some internal web pages where I work, which only work
under IE. Whether they use some scripting that only works under IE, and
its the scripting that's the problem rather than IE, is a moot point.
[]
Actually, it's not an IE version that stopped including OE. It's the OS. Win
7 and up have replaces OE with the rather crippled and ornery Live Mail

Well, another moot point.
which can't show quites properly and a few other things.
I'm told it's versions 15 on of WLM that can't quote properly. There's
also http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/, though I haven't played
with it.
[]
Agreed, there are, and some very good ones, too. But I like the way OE is
written; it follows the way I like to work as long as OEQuoteFix is
installed for it.
Yes, OE has had a very bad press: when used by the average user,
especially with OE-Quotefix, it's not bad at all. OK, it did get
targetted by a lot of malware simply because of its wide user base, but
that's not OE's fault. I used to like Outlook Quotefix too, but
unfortunately that works with the Outlook in Office 2003, but not 2010
(2007 I know not).
Ah, I see you meant Chrome as email client; I only know it as a browser.
[]