Re: Backup shadow copy fails: error 80042301

Tad Hofmeister

Hi Adi,

I configured the COM+ Event System, COM+ System Application, and
System Event Notification Service to their default settings as you
suggested. However, when I try to run the backup utility, I still get
the following error message:

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "system_state.bkf created 11/3/2003 at 9:32 PM"

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:80042301
Aborting Backup.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

I changed the settings I had for those services in response to a
posting I made to the following thread on another user group:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1044359459

The response suggested using the services settings given in this
article:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/windowsxpservices.php

I don't think I mentioned earlier, but I have Symantec's Norton
AntiVirus 2003 installed. I get the shadow copy error if I have the
AntiVirus enabled or disabled.

Thanks.
Tad

Adi Oltean [MSFT]

The article at http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/windowsxpservices.php
is incorrect - the settings presented there will prevent applications
like NTBackup from working. Notice that it also advises that "Volume
Shadow copy" and "MS Software Shadow Copy provider" services should be
disabled - NTBackup cannot create snapshots without those...

Please ensure that the services above (VSS and SWPRV) are correctly
enabled as "Manual" on your machine.

Thanks, Adi

P.S. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.

Tad Hofmeister

Hi Adi,

VSS service was set to manual and SWPRV was on automatic. I changed
SWPRV to manual but get the same error message when trying to run
backup. I noticed that VSS gets started when I run backup but SWPRV
does not. I manually started SWPRV and tried to run backup again but
it still fails.

I did not change any of the services settings per the overclockersclub
article until after backup started to fail for me.

The services I currently have set for disable are:
alerter
automatic updates
clipbook
distributed link tracking client
distributed transaction coordinator
error reporting service
fast user switching compatibility
fax
help and support
human interface device access
imapi cd-burning com service
indexing service
ipsec services
logical disk manager
logical disk manager administrative service
messenger
net login
netmeeting remote desktop sharing
network dde
network dde dsdm
performance logs and alerts
portable media serial number
qos rsvp
remote desktop help session manager
remote procedure call (rpc)locator
remote registry
routing and remote access
secondary logon
smart card
smart card helper
ssdp discovery service
tcp/ip netbios helper
telnet
uninterruptible power supply
universal plug and play device host
webclient
windows time
wmi performance adapter

Do I need to enable any of these to get backup to work correctly?

Thanks.
Tad

Eric Higby

Adi,

Please help? Im having the same problem/error.. but my servcses are
fine as far as i can tell:

Operating System is Windows XP

When I try to do a Backup using the Windows XP Backup, I get this
error:

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Backup.bkf created 11/7/2003 at 2:07 PM"

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:80042301
Aborting Backup.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

This was working until recently.

both COM+ servieces are set to manual as they should be.
Volume Shadow Copy is Set to Manual
MS Software Shadow copy provider is set to manual

There is 35 gigs aviable on my primary drive, that i am trying to do
that backup from

Adi Oltean [MSFT]

Hi Tad,

The only other solution might be an in-place upgrade of your Windows
OS. Please follow the instructions in this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823772

Please let me know if this fixes your issue.

[...]

(e-mail address removed) (Adi Oltean [MSFT]) wrote in message Hi Tad,

Please make sure that both the COM+ Event System and the COM+ System
Application have startup type = "Manual". Also, please double-check
that the "System Event Notification Service" has startup type =
"Automatic". These are the default Windows XP settings.

BTW - how these services reached the "disabled" state? Did you run a
third-party application that disabled them, or did you disabled them
by hand?

Tad Hofmeister

Adi,

I tried your suggestion this weekend but have a problem. My Windows
XP came with my computer and I do not have the Windows XP installation
CD. Instead, I have Toshiba's recovery and configuration builder CDs.
I booted up from them but could not find any option for an in-place
upgrade.

Also, as part of trying to fix this problem at one point I downloaded
and installed the XP service pack. This did not fix the backup
problems.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tad

Tom Swift

Contact Toshiba technical support and ask if it is possible to install
ntbackup from the CDs you were given. You may also want to have a look at
Toshiba's customer support web site, where you can "Ask IRIS".

Tom Swift

Tad Hofmeister said:
[...]

Hi Eric,

Can you take a look in the Event Log and check for any VSS errors
there?

Also, can you please run the following command and cut & paste the
output in your reply?

reg.exe queryhklm\system\setup

[...]

Can you also check the Event Log for any VSS errors? If yes, please
cut & paste them in your reply.

Tad Hofmeister said:
[...]

In the Event Viewer I have over 100 VSS errors. I will paste below
the most recent 5. These 5 all have the same date and time stamp.

Scanning through all of the VSS errors it looks like they always have
one of three event IDs:

8193, 5013, 12291

-Tad

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8193
Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:41:11 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAUN
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine
IEventSystem::Query. hr = 0x80040155.

Data:
0000: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
0008: 32 31 33 37 00 00 00 00 2137....
0010: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43 WRTWRTIC
0018: 32 30 37 38 00 00 00 00 2078....

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8193

Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:41:11 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAUN
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Shadow Copy writer Microsoft Writer
(Bootable State) called routine CVssWriterShim::Subscribe which failed
with status 0x8000ffff (converted to 0x800423f4).

Data:
0000: 57 53 48 43 4f 4d 4e 43 WSHCOMNC
0008: 32 32 33 30 00 00 00 00 2230....
0010: 57 53 48 57 53 48 4d 43 WSHWSHMC
0018: 33 31 31 35 00 00 00 00 3115....

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8193
Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:41:11 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAUN
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine
IMultiInterfaceEventControl::GetSubscriptions. hr = 0x80040155.

Data:
0000: 46 49 4c 46 49 4c 54 43 FILFILTC
0008: 34 32 30 00 00 00 00 00 420.....
0010: 46 49 4c 46 49 4c 54 43 FILFILTC
0018: 33 39 36 00 00 00 00 00 396.....

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 12291
Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:41:11 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAUN
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error on creating/using the COM+
Writers publisher interface: IVssWriter::RequestWriterInfo,
GatherWriterMetadata [0x8000ffff].

Data:
0000: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC
0008: 33 35 36 34 00 00 00 00 3564....
0010: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC
0018: 33 35 36 32 00 00 00 00 3562....

Tad Hofmeister

Hi Adi,

I sent an earlier post with the VSS error log. I just noticed that
there are several system information events that occur around the same
time as the VSS errors. I will paste them below in case they provide
additional clues.

Thanks,
Tad

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7035
Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:40:08 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: SHAUN
The Removable Storage service was successfully sent a start control.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7036
Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:40:09 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAUN
The Removable Storage service entered the running state.

Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:41:10 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAUN
The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state.

Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:41:10 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: SHAUN
The Volume Shadow Copy service was successfully sent a start control.

Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:41:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAUN
The Removable Storage service entered the stopped state.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 98
Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:41:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAUN
RSM was stopped.

Date: 11/29/2003
Time: 3:56:12 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAUN
The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the stopped state.

Adi Oltean [MSFT]

Hi,

It appears that the COM+ subsystem is not correctly installed on your
machine. This causes failures in VSS. You might try the the steps in
this KB article to reinstall COM+
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315296

Let me know if this fixes the problem.