Rampage in my head!

Reaction score
I've been having a little debate in my head
laughingsmiley.gif
Just before you read what I have to say, check out my introduction thread: https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11782604#post11782604

Anyway, back to the debate... if you checked out my introduction, you should see the HDD on my notebook is fair but everyone wants more! I play alot of games and I have 55.0 GB of space remaining, which is very well in my case because I usually play a game, beat it, then delete it
happywave.gif
IF I were to upgrade to a higher HDD, would my system possibly be slower due to the more data it has to transfer OR would it be slower since the HDD is not as big? If you were too lazy to visit my introduction thread, you may be too lazy to visit the website with my laptop specification as well but, oh well:
http://www.everex.com/products/xt5300t/xt5300t.htm

Yeah, I LOVE my new notebook! I would have to say out of all I've seen, out of all I've used, I rate this a 10 on a 1-10 scale but that is from my perspective not being a computer guru in rating and such...

ALSO . . .
Linux OR Vista?
I've heard oh, so many complaints about Vista! I have never witnessed a problem I couldn't solve within minutes with my OS (Vista) but my curiousity makes me want to test out Linux. I've looked into a couple Linux distributions and I believe you can load Ubuntu Linux from a CD just to try it out . . . I'll look more into it, until then I want to hear what YOU think!​

MOST IMPORTANT:
Before you leave this thread, tell me what you think about my laptop!! I will not except any rating under a 7! :) Don't hurt my feelings, please!
laughingsmiley.gif
EDIT : Forgot to mention, I am curious of what "overclocking" is, I am interested in doing so to my new notebook if it isn't too much of a risk, I also won't perform the DIY if the outcome is not much noticed.

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hiya Clockwork, and welcome to PCR
happywave.gif

I don't know anything about Everex, its not a make we're familiar with over here in the UK - but it seems a nicely specified laptop for the money.

Regarding the HDD - I see it has a 120GB 5400 RPM Drive fitted already, the largest around at the moment are 160GB so not that much bigger to be honest....speed wise you can get 7200 RPM laptop drives, but I suspect you won't notice that much difference overall, however I notice the spec says "(2) HDD Slots available (1 open)" so there may be an option to slip another in there, if not then perhaps purchase an external USB drive and use that for storage.

Linux or Vista? - well you could dual boot with Linux if you want, but I suggest you try out some Linux Live CD's before installing to see if you are likely to get on with them....Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS are good ones to try as a beginner and both do Live CD versions to play with first before installation.

Another alternative if you aren't liking Vista is to install XP instead.

Overclocking wise, laptops are very limited due to their restricted Bios options and cooling - I would avoid it ;)

Reaction score
Given that my notebook is an 800 Duron with 128mb ram I think your machine is luvverly........a solid 8.
As to your os I would suggest Kubuntu/Ubuntu......try the live cd and if you like it you can have it installed permanently within minutes.

Unless you are expert at knowing which non-essential services you can disable in Vista I would go with Linux, especially as you only really have the bare minimum ram for Vista use.

Adding a second disc would introduce more heat to the system-I wouldn't bother unless it becomes essential.

Anyway, enjoy your notebook and welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
I have read both your introduction and the two website links you have provided (no laziness here).

Your laptop is pretty snazzy, but as Adywebb said, the make of that Notebook isn't really popular in the UK so I too haven't heard of it. Since Adywebb covered most aspects of your Notebook we can move on...
I rate your Notebook a 8 out of 10 too.

This article on overclocking is rather accurate so have a read through that. I too suggest that you do not overclock your Notebook, your Notebook will more than likely over heat.

Linux do run Live CDs (as previously mentioned) so I'd either download a .iso from their website and burn it to a CD and then run the Live version, or you can simply install it on a separate partition on a computer. Since you are new to Linux I suggest you start from Ubuntu and work your way through the Operating Systems.

Also, may I add: I find it odd that you've purchased a Notebook yet you're a game enthusiast :confused:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Hiya Clockwork, and welcome to PCR
happywave.gif

I don't know anything about Everex, its not a make we're familiar with over here in the UK - but it seems a nicely specified laptop for the money.

Clockwork: http://www.everex.com/ Go go go!

Regarding the HDD - I see it has a 120GB 5400 RPM Drive fitted already, the largest around at the moment are 160GB so not that much bigger to be honest....speed wise you can get 7200 RPM laptop drives, but I suspect you won't notice that much difference overall, however I notice the spec says "(2) HDD Slots available (1 open)" so there may be an option to slip another in there, if not then perhaps purchase an external USB drive and use that for storage.

Clockwork: Yes, it has (2) HDD Slots available for 2 however many GB you want but 7200 RPM speed. The largest around are 160GB?! I could've sworn I heard of a notebook HDD (HP I believe) with a 250 or 300 GB hard drive. My dad was telling me external wasn't as good as internal, he said something about them being different. Are they the same exact thing but with an external you just plug it into a USB slot rather than operate on the interior of your laptop? In the near future, I was hoping to upgrade this puppy to (2) 200GB HDD's with 9600 RPM each! I heard you didn't notice the 7200 that much and it was much louder which I don't mind.

Linux or Vista? - well you could dual boot with Linux if you want, but I suggest you try out some Linux Live CD's before installing to see if you are likely to get on with them....Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS are good ones to try as a beginner and both do Live CD versions to play with first before installation.

Another alternative if you aren't liking Vista is to install XP instead.

Clockwork: I'll definitley look into more Linux distributions because I think i've heard alot about Ubuntu and it just completely fixes your system. The problem is, I don't know what my problem with Vista is!! :lol: Sure, I've had a couple problems here and there with when I close out of a game, it says "hl2.exe has stopped working" when CLEARLY: IT HAS NOT STOPPED WORKING . . .

Overclocking wise, laptops are very limited due to their restricted Bios options and cooling - I would avoid it ;)

Clockwork: Gotcha ;)

Jason.369 said:
I have read both your introduction and the two website links you have provided (no laziness here).

Your laptop is pretty snazzy, but as Adywebb said, the make of that Notebook isn't really popular in the UK so I too haven't heard of it. Since Adywebb covered most aspects of your Notebook we can move on...
I rate your Notebook a 8 out of 10 too.

Clockwork: http://www.everex.com/ Go take a look! I would even consider investing in one for a future buy.

This article on overclocking is rather accurate so have a read through that. I too suggest that you do not overclock your Notebook, your Notebook will more than likely over heat.

Clockwork: It is out of the question then, it will also void my notebook warranty.

Linux do run Live CDs (as previously mentioned) so I'd either download a .iso from their website and burn it to a CD and then run the Live version, or you can simply install it on a separate partition on a computer. Since you are new to Linux I suggest you start from Ubuntu and work your way through the Operating Systems.

Clockwork: I truly believe Linux is for big-time companies that don't want to buy Microsoft software due to the price even if it's purchased whole sale. I don't really know what it could do for my system to enhance it other than what I already have.

Also, may I add: I find it odd that you've purchased a Notebook yet you're a game enthusiast :confused:

Clockwork: Ouch, this one really made me think . . I had in mind to build a gaming PC for such a long time with my dad, but I came accross this Everex buy and it was so great but once you realize the inital costs for example, the price of a graphic card like mine would be in the $3-4 hundred range and I really just thought this was a better buy than anything at the moment. Give it a couple years, and hopefully when i'm a judge with a law degree, I will be able to build my PC in the court room while working on a case with some time to spare after I deal with the verdict for OJ as guilty :lol: In no offense, to those who support him . . . just a joke :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Clockwork: Yes, it has (2) HDD Slots available for 2 however many GB you want but 7200 RPM speed. The largest around are 160GB?! I could've sworn I heard of a notebook HDD (HP I believe) with a 250 or 300 GB hard drive. My dad was telling me external wasn't as good as internal, he said something about them being different. Are they the same exact thing but with an external you just plug it into a USB slot rather than operate on the interior of your laptop? In the near future, I was hoping to upgrade this puppy to (2) 200GB HDD's with 9600 RPM each! I heard you didn't notice the 7200 that much and it was much louder which I don't mind.
I stand corrected - just had a look at a couple of retailers here and I see you can get at least 250GB, and no doubt there may be larger ones too. External aren't as handy as internal because you have to carry it around seperately and keep attaching it - but as a storage only drive it would be fine......but as you have a spare internal slot you may as well buy an internal anyway. You will have to do some searching at retailers in your neck of the woods to see whats available.

Clockwork: http://www.everex.com/ Go take a look! I would even consider investing in one for a future buy.
They may be, but we are mainly UK folk here and we can't get 'em.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rampage In My Head

Wasn't that a Pantera song?

Or maybe a Cradle Of Filth tune.

If not it should be, absolutely spiffing title :D

Ok, as you were, carry on.

Ask a Question