RAM compatability???

abz

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought some ram for my PC - corsair 512mb pc3200 400mhz value select - to add to the current 512 400mhz value select (the codes are VS512MB400 and VS512MB400C3).

Both modules of ram work absilutely fine on their own, in any slot on my motherboard. But if I put them both in, only 512mb is recognised. I have been having other problems with my PC so asked the guy fixing it to look at the ram. He said they are not compatable becuse one module has chips on both sides, and the other only has chips on one side.

However, I didn't think that could be the problem as my other PC has both kinds and works fine. I have asked corsair and they say that it's not a ram problem , but to do with the motherboard/BIOS.

Does anyone know if what the repair guy says is true? If its not, any idea what else it could be? I am in the process of asking the MB manufacturer but i dont have the PC back yet so I cant get access to the serial numbers etc.

Thanks in advance for any help

abi

Reaction score
Some Mobo's do have problems with dual sided modules unfortunately thats what happens as technology progress's it tends to become more and more picky.

How old is the other machine that has both compared to the one currently described?

abz

Reaction score
the one with both is at *least* four or five years old. The one in question is just 1 year. The biggest reason i question their answer is because of the problems i have had with them before (see my review of monkeyware). I guess I will just have to sell the ram and buy again.
thanks

Ask a Question