Rain

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The strangest thing happened last night :eek: It was a really clear night for most of the night, until 3AM when this REALLY loud sound surrounded the whole flat. It was like someone had turned on a set of firemans hoses and were blasting the windows, roof and walls really loudly.

It only lasted for such a short time, but the whole area was soaking around us. It was like the sky just emptied of all its water in a single minute :confused:

It must have been a microburst or something like that, whatever it was, it was very cool :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Not just me then ... got woken, unusually for me, about sometime or other this morning too.

Forcast ... Wet-n-Windy. :D

Reaction score
I don't think it was a microburst, as that would of caused some damage to the surrounding area.

However a really potent cold front is moving through bringing 'heavier' than average rain and even mixed in Thunder, Hail and Sleet have been reported this morning.

And from around Midnight > 1AM the winds picked up dramatically, from around 5-6MPH to 34MPH, which would of been why the rain probably came down so quickly.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Yeah, same thing happened to John down in south Dunedin (it was fine out here, just drizzling) last year. Flooded his whole studio/gallery out. Luckily he was painting there at the time & was able to get all of his work out & stacked the furniture etc in a huge heap in the middle room so that most of it was undamaged. Water was pouring in under the doors, it was incredible. He was able to save most of his stuff but the shop was a write off. A real bummer at we'd just poured a ton of money & hard work doing it up (it was a pigsty when we rented it. Not just mess but major structural problems as well. Is why we got it so cheap) Now he mostly works out of home, but with my 2 kids running about & in such a small area it's a bit of a problem. But all of this rain just poured down in about half an hour. The whole of south dunedin was flooded. The drains just couldn't handle the sheer bulk of water.

Ask a Question