Comet Neowise

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just been outside because there is a very clear sky tonight and there it was - the comet Neowise in all its glory. Find the Plough ( Big Dipper in USA) and go down and to the right slightly and you will see a blurry light with a longish tail pointing downwards. I used binoculars but someone with really good eyesight will probably manage without.

If you don't see it in the next few days you will have to wait another 6800 years for it to return. :eek: :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been away for the past week, but I'm staying up late tonight in the hope of seeing it.

Did you get a clear look at it? I've got a planetarium app for my phone that makes it easy to locate, thankfully. Might drive out a few miles to darker skies if I can't get a clear view here.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
it.

Did you get a clear look at it?

Yes, but it was a very clear sky the night I saw it (Monday) but it's been cloudy most nights since. However, there was a break in the clouds one night and my 17 year old grandson saw it with the naked eye. I'm hoping I might see it again tonight but I'm sure Sod's Law will apply as usual. Not too many more nights available.

If you can see The Plough then I'm sure you'll see it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Raining tonight and clouds in the sky, so no luck tonight - think I may have missed my chance :eek: .

If anyone has clear skies tonight, the Stellarium app is great for finding the comet in the night sky:

Ask a Question