Guns for the visually challenged

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I certainly don't think that disabled folk should suffer unnecessary descrimination... but surely there needs to be a little common sense exercised in some areas :eek:

In a move sure to leave gun safety advocates scratching their heads, Iowa is issuing gun permits to the blind.

The permits allow legally blind applicants to purchase weapons and carry them in public. Per state law, any attempt to deny an Iowan these rights based on physical ability would be illegal, reports the Des Moines Register.

"When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is necessary," said Michael Barber, a blind man interviewed by The Register at a gun store in Iowa last month.

The issue has also vexed local sheriffs -- the authorities tasked with reviewing applications -- with some in full support of the measure, and others against.
Explains Delaware County Sheriff John LeClere, "If you see nothing but a blurry mass in front of you, then I would say you probably shouldn't be shooting something.”

Counters Cedar County Sheriff Warren Wethington, who has a legally blind daughter, “If sheriffs spent more time trying to keep guns out of criminals’ hands and not people with disabilities, their time would be more productive.”
Full story (with video) continues here: Huffington Post

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Explains Delaware County Sheriff John LeClere, "If you see nothing but a blurry mass in front of you, then I would say you probably shouldn't be shooting something.”
"Probably" indeed...

27961d1285948423-worst-mugshot-ever-1.jpg

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, this is ridiculous and quite terrifying! :eek:

Reaction score
The Second Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms.
The right to bear arms predates the Bill of Rights; the Second Amendment was based partially on the right to bear arms in English common law, and was influenced by the English Bill of Rights of 1689. This right was described by Sir William Blackstonehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blackstone as an auxiliary right, supporting the natural rights of self-defense, resistance to oppression, and the civic duty to act in concert in defense of the state. Academic inquiry into the purpose, scope, and effect of the amendment has been controversialhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_arguments_of_gun_politics_in_the_United_States and subject to numerous interpretations.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bill_of_Rights#cite_note-77

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
what are you all so surprised about ???????

It's Armerica. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yee-hah! Loose cannons a-go-go :D

I'm imagining a scene from a Mel Brooks movie.... here comes Betty Lou, blind as a bat and it's target practice time - take cover!