RAID 5

I've got a 2000 server running a hardware RAID 5, I'm getting the error on
boot up "No Operating System found",
after a couple of tries I am able to boot to the OS, I checked the EV and I
have a message saying that harddisk0
has a bad block. I know that disk 0 is the boot disk, my question is can
you guys tell me the easiest recovery way to fix this. With minimum down
time.

Thanks Craig

Hardware raid 5?

If so replace drive 1 with a replacement drive and the array will rebuild
itself. Always have a tested backup before you make major changes

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Craig,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, you have hardware RAID 5 on Windows Server 2000 and you get
a message saying that harddisk0 has a bad block.

For your issue, it seems the problem is related to the hardware device. At
this point, I'd like to provide you with my suggestions to see if it can
help.

1. Boot into Recovery Console command line.
2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
"cd system32" (without the quotation marks).
3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER: "chkdsk /p /r"
(without the quotation marks).

This command (where drive specifies the drive to check) checks the drive,
and if needed, repairs or recovers the drive. It also marks bad sectors and
recovers readable information.

The /p switch instructs CHKDSK to do an exhaustive check of the drive even
if the drive is not marked with problems, and then corrects any errors that
are found. The /r switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable
information.

For more information about how to install and use Recovery Console in
Windows 2000, please refer to the following articles:

216417: How To Install the Windows Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216417

229716: Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229716

If the problem persists, please back up the data from the affected disk,
and then perform a low-level format of the affected disk. To do this, use a
utility supplied by the disk manufacturer, or use the disk controller
itself, to mark those sectors "bad" at the hardware level.

325615: Cannot Create Software Mirror If Disk Contains Bad Blocks
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325615

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662

--------------------
| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: RAID 5
| Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:45:07 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| Hi,
| I've got a 2000 server running a hardware RAID 5, I'm getting the error
on
| boot up "No Operating System found",
| after a couple of tries I am able to boot to the OS, I checked the EV and
| have a message saying that harddisk0
| has a bad block. I know that disk 0 is the boot disk, my question is can
| you guys tell me the easiest recovery way to fix this. With minimum down
| time.
|
| Thanks Craig

Thanks Ken!

My question though is with it being harddisk 0 isn't that the disk I boot
off of in a RAID 5? So the only way
to low level format is to recreate the RAID, is that what your saying? With
what Joshua said can I just swap out
the 0 drive and put in a new one?

Thanks for your input it's already been very helpful!
Craig

One other thing Ken, I tried the /p and it said it was an invalid command.
Thanks Craig

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply!

Glad to hear the information has been helpful. According to the KB325615,
if the disk that contains the bad block is a small computer system
interface (SCSI) disk drive, the article recommend us to back up the data
from the affected disk, and then perform a low-level format of the affected
disk. Regarding Joshua's suggestion, because the hard disk 0 contains bad
blocks is a boot disk, I am afraid that Joshua's suggestion may not work.
In fact, if the problem occurs on data disk, you may follow Joshua's input
to replace the problematic disk with new one and the array will rebuild by
itself.

Regarding the /p switch of CHKDSK, that should work in Recovery Console
command line of Windows 2000. If you specify the /r switch, the /p switch
is implied. For related information, please refer to:
> [...]

Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RAID 5
| > | Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:45:07 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| > | have a message saying that harddisk0
| > | has a bad block. I know that disk 0 is the boot disk, my question is
| > can
| > | you guys tell me the easiest recovery way to fix this. With minimum
| > |
| > | Thanks Craig
| > |
| > |
| > |

Thanks again Ken,

I wasn't in the Recovery Console when I tried the /p I was just at a command
prompt.
I'm a little confused, you said at first that Joshua's suggestion may not
work, but then you
said replace the problematic disk and it will rebuild itself. I'm thinking
that I'm not quite
understanding what you said. Let me say this I would like to just replace
disk 0, I thought
there would be a problem doing it due to the fact that it was the boot disk.
Can I just pull
out disk 0 replace it and the RAID will rebuild itself?
Thanks again Ken,

Craig

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Craig,

Sorry for my misleading.

Yes, I agree with you. Also I think that could be a problem because that
was the boot disk. I suggest you backup the important data before you try
to replace the disk0. For more related information, you may also find
something in the internet.

More information for your reference:
Microsoft Windows XP - Using RAID-5 volumes
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/sag_diskconc
epts_18.mspx>

Microsoft Windows XP - Replace a disk region in the RAID-5 volume
<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en
-us/dm_repair_raid5_repair.mspx>

> [...]

| > expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: RAID 5
| > | Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:52:21 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| > |
| > | One other thing Ken, I tried the /p and it said it was an invalid

| > | > |
| > error
| > EV
| > is