Question and Installation Troubles

Ok -- I started running another attempt, selecting the upgrade option at
about 7AM EST today. I'll send you an e-mail around either 7PM EST tonight or
7AM EST tomorrow morning, depending one when I return home.

Thank you again.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Mike,
Upgrades will take a longer time and in some cases a much longer time than
clean installs.
If you let it run 12 hours. capture the setupact.log again and send it to
me.
There may be other spots it slows down.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?c2V2YWM=?= <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<qG#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Question and Installation Troubles
|>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:49:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>On this particular install attempt the disk configuration was:
|>
|>Local Disk (C:)
|>3.5 Floppy (A:)
|>LRMCFRE_EN_DVD (D:) -- (Windows install CD)
|>
|>On two previous attempts I had about 10 virtual drives and one external
hard
|>drive hooked up via USB. However, I had removed those (uninstalled
Alcohol
|>120% since I did not need it, and unplugged the external hdd) for the
attempt
|>displayed in that log.
|>
|>Canceling the setup always does seem to take quite some time, however
there
|>was on attempt where in hanged at the Install & Updates part for about 12
|>hours without moving. The bar at the bottom was stayed in the middle of
step
|>2 for entire time as well.
|>
|>Defrag is still running and upon its completion I'm going to give it
another
|>go.
|>
|>Thanks again.
|>
|>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|>> Hello Mike,
|>> Replying to the thread with what I see in the log files.
|>> Here is where it appears to hang. This is 30 minutes in disk
enumeration.
|>> Then it times out and continues on.
|>> So what is the disk configuration ( all drives, removeable media, etc)
|>> 2007-02-07 17:37:42, Info [0x060392] IBS
InitVDSService:Starting
|>> VDS service.
|>> 2007-02-07 17:37:42, Info [0x060392] IBS
|>> InitVDSService:Successfully created an instance of VDS loader
|>> 2007-02-07 17:37:42, Info [0x060392] IBS
|>> InitVDSService:Successfully launched VDS service
|>> 2007-02-07 18:07:29, Info [0x060159] IBS PreparePack:Found
offline
|>> disk pack [Invalid].
|>> 2007-02-07 18:07:29, Info [0x06015b] IBS PreparePack:Found
offline
|>> disk pack [Invalid], but it's not a pack we can bring online
|>>

|>> Note the delay here is when we cancel setup and we start cleanup but
this
|>> is after the cancelling of setup.
|>> 2007-02-07 18:54:48, Info [0x060578] IBS
|>> Callback_Locale_InstallLocales:Target language is [en-US]
|>> 2007-02-07 19:27:22, Info [0x0a013b] UI Cancel rejected.
|>> Remaining on Page Progress.
|>> 2007-02-07 20:41:18, Info [0x0640d1] IBSLIB [Setup Disk Usage]
|>> Beginning of usage information.
|>> 2007-02-07 20:41:18, Info [0x0640d2] IBSLIB [Setup Disk Usage]
------
|>> Drive X: ------
|>> 2007-02-07 20:41:18, Info [0x0640d3] IBSLIB [Setup Disk Usage]
Total
|>> bytes on drive: 238464.8 MB (250048479232 bytes)
|>>

|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <[email protected]>
|>> <qG#[email protected]>

|>> much
|>> the

|>> and

|>> it
|>> to me.
|>> on

|>> rights

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Give it more time than before. Setup was continuing in the log file you
sent me, it had passed the point where it slowed down for 30 minutes
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?c2V2YWM=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Question and Installation Troubles
|>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:51:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Ok well I tried doing it on a new partition, and it reached the same
stage
|>where it got stuck before, however the dots aren't even moving this time.
|>don't know what to do from here.

Adam Albright

Hello,
Give it more time than before. Setup was continuing in the log file you
sent me, it had passed the point where it slowed down for 30 minutes
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?c2V2YWM=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Question and Installation Troubles
|>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:51:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Ok well I tried doing it on a new partition, and it reached the same
stage
|>where it got stuck before, however the dots aren't even moving this time.
|>don't know what to do from here.

The dots don't always keep moving during the install. That's one thing
that is going to bug and trip up a lot of people. I noted at least 4
places during install that the Vista install engine and my hard drive
indicator light simply stopped doing anything for a long enough time
to make you wonder what the heck happened only for it to start up
again and continue on its own without me doing anything.

The most scary part is the screen goes totally dark several times, no
warning of any kind before it does and nothing, tick, tick, tick, then
its back to showing something. XP and earlier versions of Windows TOLD
YOU when the install process needed to reboot so you wouldn't freak,
then it showed a count down timer until it rebooted. Vista don't.

The last "stall" and it isn't a hang, is you see the primary new Vista
desktop in all its glory, but minus everything. No icons, no logo, no
text, no sound, no message to wait, just nothing, it just sits there
for almost a solid minute before it again reboots and continues then
finally shows the real new desktop for the first time.

Vista has a somewhat freaky install routine. And I thought some
versions of Linux installing were strange looking. <wink>

Hi again everyone,

I didn't get home last night, and am still not home so I can't get the
setupact.log file again. However I called and asked my friend to check on its
progess. The update is still at the Installing features and updates part (bar
has not moved, if that matters) and has been running since 7AM EST Thursday.
That means the install has been going for over 24 hours now. Is that normal?

Due to some unfortunate circumstances I will not be home until around 8 or 9
EST tonight, and can get the log file again then, if you feel the install is
hanging in some way.

Thanks to everyone,
Mike

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Mike,
I have seen some slow upgrade times, so yes, I would like to see another
log file
if you have one. Let setup continue if you can, you may want to check that
the log file is still generating entries. ( timestamps in log file should
show progress if any)
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?c2V2YWM=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Question and Installation Troubles
|>Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:30:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Hi again everyone,
|>
|>I didn't get home last night, and am still not home so I can't get the
|>setupact.log file again. However I called and asked my friend to check on
its
|>progess. The update is still at the Installing features and updates part
(bar
|>has not moved, if that matters) and has been running since 7AM EST
Thursday.
|>That means the install has been going for over 24 hours now. Is that
normal?

|>Due to some unfortunate circumstances I will not be home until around 8
or 9
|>EST tonight, and can get the log file again then, if you feel the install
is
|>hanging in some way.
|>
|>Thanks to everyone,
|>Mike

Well, I have had this install running for three days and still going. Doesn't
look like it is going to work. Do you think that buying a new disc could
help? Or is it definitely an issues with hardware/software compatibility?

sevac said:
Alright - I just emailed over another log file (replied to your last e-mail).

~Mike

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Mike,
I have seen some slow upgrade times, so yes, I would like to see another
log file
if you have one. Let setup continue if you can, you may want to check that
the log file is still generating entries. ( timestamps in log file should
show progress if any)
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: =?Utf-8?B?c2V2YWM=?= <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Question and Installation Troubles
|>Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:30:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Hi again everyone,
|>
|>I didn't get home last night, and am still not home so I can't get the
|>setupact.log file again. However I called and asked my friend to check on
its
|>progess. The update is still at the Installing features and updates part
(bar
|>has not moved, if that matters) and has been running since 7AM EST
Thursday.
|>That means the install has been going for over 24 hours now. Is that
normal?

|>Due to some unfortunate circumstances I will not be home until around 8
or 9
|>EST tonight, and can get the log file again then, if you feel the install
is
|>hanging in some way.
|>
|>Thanks to everyone,
|>Mike

Well the install got past that point, tried to restart, and BSOD'd.

The BSOD::

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP : 0x0000000A ( 0x00000000, 0x0000001B, 0x00000001, 0x81829194 )

This usually means important drivers are corrupt, correct?

Now, in this case, I'm *assuming* that it means the drivers that Vista
installed for itself are corrupt? Would this mean the issue was with the disk
or something?

Any help?