PSU Failure ... bugger

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Bugger, blast & dammit ... :mad:

Got some bits-n-bobs of Ady today ... nice MB with an AMD x2 CPU ... was just gonna slip the PSU in my PC and thought, what the heck ... that MB is better than mine. :D

So ... I turns off the PC, I turn off at the mains and I unplug the power cord ... I remove all the cables that are attached to the back of the PC and call in Sparrow Crane Hire to lift the bloody case off my desk.

As I reach round the back, I hit the power toggle switch on the PSU and ... aaaaaaaaaaggghhh ... I hear a crackle ... yes, deaf as I am I bloody heard the damn thing crackle ... there has been no power to the damn thing for nearly 5mins ... :rolleyes:

Now, I suspect, everyone here would plug everything back in and test it all out ... not this plonker, he goes ahead and change out the MB anyway ... now, I'm sure the new MB & CPU are fine, but of course, I got no power now have I. :blush:

I think I'll be having a very quiet evening ... may go to bed ... better have me dinner first. :thumb:

Oh, any good PCi-E PSUs going for a tenner.
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Muckshifter:nod:
Pour a glass of beer, wine or spirit & after a good nights sleep everything will look better.:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh no :eek: Fingers crossed it's ok!

Did the internal fuse go, or is the whole PSU kaput?

Reaction score
Bugger Mucks!

I do in fact have a PSU going spare, you can have it by all means. But its a only 300W model. Not sure if it would be up to the spec.

sorry to hear :(

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, but there is a new computer shop just opened up the road ... my brother knows the owner ... I will "borrow" one or two and see what happens. ;)

I'm 99.99% sure it is the PSU and not anything else.

I will pop up there in the morning, I have to go set-up my sister's broadband tomorrow also, should be fun.

user.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Thanks for the offer, but there is a new computer shop just opened up the road ... my brother knows the owner ... I will "borrow" one or two and see what happens. ;)

I'm 99.99% sure it is the PSU and not anything else.

I will pop up there in the morning, I have to go set-up my sister's broadband tomorrow also, should be fun.

user.gif

Offers always there if you need it :thumb:

Ah setting up broadband for others... tedious at the best of times ;)

Good luck with your PSU "borrowing" and interweb setting-upping :D

Edit: I haven't got a computer shop that is local to me. The closest one is Pc world...

Lucky you :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a bit of a bummer Mucks :(

Still, most PSU's die eventually, they're a hard working component, constantly hot and working under stress.

Oddly enough, longest lasting Power Supplies I've had so far have been the Jeantech brand.

Yes, that's right, the ones PC World sell :eek:

And if you search, they usually get good reviews. They're solid and well built, just haven't got the same ring to them as Enermax or Tagan. But I like 'em and recommend them :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
To be honest, and if you all remember, I actually used a "cheapo" PSU in my main box ... Floppy, I am not adverse to using "generic" PSU's, but will always recommend a branded something-or-other just to cover ones back. ;)

This was the first time, however, that I personally strayed from my own advice ... the spec on this PSU was quite impressive for the price ... my Enermax power supplies, one now 5 years old, are still going strong, touch wood, and being used on crunchers. :thumb:
I have been in "the game" long enough to know that no PC component is fail-proof. :D
The way that thing failed was a little surprising though ...
wallbash.gif

Michael, the closest one to me is 40 miles away ... I have used PCWorld on many occasion, I just will not buy their PC's ... they are not too bad on price of individual components, if you need something NOW and it is at the right price. ;)

I still buy most of my bit-n-bobs from CCL, and I still prefer MSI over Asus. :p

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Michael, the closest one to me is 40 miles away ... I have used PCWorld on many occasion, I just will not buy their PC's ... they are not too bad on price of individual components, if you need something NOW and it is at the right price. ;)

I still buy most of my bit-n-bobs from CCL, and I still prefer MSI over Asus. :p

Fair enough ;) I still get my ink cartridges from them, if i can get down there. I actually have a really good MSI mb (K9N SLI), much better than my old Asus one :D.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK everybody ... your break from The Shifter is over ... me is back on my Baby, new PSU, and new dual-core crunchin. :D

The price of the PSU ... £0.00 ;)

The "shop" isn't actually open yet, they are still working on the inside, nice bunch there.

:wave:

Ask a Question