I hate fecking computers ...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
So, I was board today and decided to finally install a nice new SATA II 250 drive ... it was gathering dust. :D

Simple job, right ?
laughingsmiley.gif

Shut down PC, unplug power, fit drive & cables, turn on PC. YES? :thumb:

Oh boy ... you know, it never ceases to amaze me, turn off the PSU and it fails ... aaaaggghhhh!!!!!! :mad:

So there I am looking at the motherboard green LED flashing away ... for those who don't know, that is a nice "feature" on some MBs especially Asus ... well, this little flashing LED means one of two things.

1. the PSU has failed
2. the MB has failed

Tried resetting the BIOS, just in case, no joy. :rolleyes:

... and, I'm fresh out of spare PSUs.
wallbash.gif

Fortunately, my big Little brother is home for lunch, so off we trundle to the local PC shop ... picked up a nice case, PSU and a couple of copies of Windows XP home, need them for a older PCs I want to sell ... good price, £20 the lot.
nod.gif
it's not what you know, it's who you know. ;)

Anyway, pops the new PSU in and the PC boots up no bother ... err, oops ... dam, blast & little fishes ... forgot to re-set-up the BIOS ... bugger. :blush:

The wrong date don't arf mess a system up, not to mention a few other settings.
laughingsmiley.gif

One of these days I'll get a decent PSU for this PC ... my Enermax's are still running fine, shame I can't afford a new one. :p

Now, must go see if I can get these other two working ... oh, and I got a Sony laptop to "fix" here too ... :D

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It would be great to be able to have web-casts of you doing all that Mucks... well perhaps not for those who know what's what already, of course... but for those who are keen to learn about the inner workings, it would be great:nod: Come to think of it, it's a pity that some enterprising TV person doesn't come up with a "reality TV" show on the subject of PC building and so forth.... it would be far more interesting than most of the dross which is on offer :thumb:

Good luck with your projects Mucks :thumb:

PS.....Anyone know any producers...:rolleyes: :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
weird how they die when you turn them off !?

TC i seem to recall a website out there somewhere that has some video tutorials, i know it was posted on here somewhere but i have no idea when

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
You may hate em... but you are a active member on a PC forum, as well as using one to post :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
TC, building a PC is not taxing on the brain at all ... if all the "branded" PC manufacturers out there can do it using untrained monkeys, I'm sure you could build a PC too. ;)

A little update on the Sony Laptop ... there is not that much wrong with it, except ... it takes 20mins to boot to the desktop (I kid you not), has less than 200Mb ram available (shared video ram), plus a whole host of unnecessary software loading and someone managed to install McAfee on it.

:lol:

Two down, two to go ... :thumb:

* no untrained monkeys were hurt in the construction of this post *

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Is it worth it

By Mucks

A little update on the Sony Laptop ... there is not that much wrong with it, except ... it takes 20mins to boot to the desktop (I kid you not), has less than 200Mb ram available (shared video ram), plus a whole host of unnecessary software loading and someone managed to install McAfee on it.

Well its not really worth the hassle then , unless the Memory can be upgraded to at least 1GB ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Rush said:
By Mucks

Well its not really worth the hassle then , unless the Memory can be upgraded to at least 1GB ;)
Already on its way back to the owner ... I suggested he install another gig of ram ... there is a spare slot.

If then he still has a "problem" I'll be glad to have another looksee. :thumb:

;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
TC, building a PC is not taxing on the brain at all ... if all the "branded" PC manufacturers out there can do it using untrained monkeys, I'm sure you could build a PC too. ;)

:lol: Two down, two to go ... :thumb:
* no untrained monkeys were hurt in the construction of this post *

:D... I am swinging from a tree with a banana gripped between my toes, even as we speak Mucks :D
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Oh and mucks..... its spelled Bored ( not Board) :p

muckshifter

Reaction score
Alf said:
Oh and mucks..... its spelled Bored ( not Board) :p
Hey! I was referring to a plank of wood ... ;)

:p

Oh, and now only have one PC to "fix" ... will do that the morrow as it is a complete rebuild.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
:D... I am swinging from a tree with a banana gripped between my toes, even as we speak Mucks :D
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Thank you for making me laugh out loud late on a Thursday evening...... :lol:

OMG, I got this rather disturbing visual now.... ;)

Ask a Question