PSD99's Upgrade thread with Pictures.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ha ha ! yes I had it on a 478. You do need to change the bracket. Look on the Scyth site for a good clear set of instructions. DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING.

Ran me 3400 cpu at around 49 C without a fan running boinc. With a good fan it should be pretty cool.

Don't try to fit it without the cpu mate its not a good idea.

Patience grasshopper.

Have fun.

May the penguins always splash happily.

:D

Reaction score
you are right IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA

bloody think I got two of them pins installed

now I can't see to get them out i'm rotating got to be patience

i cant seem to fully access them two pins
still trying
problem is both are on one side

Reaction score
okay good news I got the heatsink removed

it is out of the case time to see if my noctua fan is going to fit it looks a little tight if i put it on the side of the memory it will take up one of my slots not too much of a problem because I am using 2 and 4 right now not 1 and 3/

does the fan have to blow inwards towards the heatsink guys our outwards?
I already got a can fan sucking the air right out of the heatsink its very close so I reckon the cpu fan should be next to the memory blowing inwards towards the heatsink....

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah ideally with the big tower heatsinks you want a fan on it blowing air towards the back of the case and another fan on the back of the case sucking out of the case.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Patience grashopper.

Go to the Scythe site and search for answers. Remember to click on the correct links to find a wealth of knowledge.

Find the hidden treasure script and all will be revealed.

Stay cool man.

Penguins will love you.

:p

P.S. There is a trick to getting the pins out again. Read the instruction on the site.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Okay got the fan in and it does just about get in the way of the DIMM1 I hope I can get a post off of 2 and 4 now!!!

Reaction score
Right guys I shall be back later with some pictures my damn isp
and i'll be ready for payment as early as today or tomorrow if you don't mind abarbarian :)

Reaction score
Stage 6: CPU Heatsink: Thanks to a Cumbrian Barbarian............

thanks to crappy sky not all pics worked

p.s I know the fan is the wrong way around I think it should be turned the other way!

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Unrelated question,

i see the 9800GT came with the Arctic Accelero S1, did it come with the turbo mode fans as well?, cause i was looking at fitting some of those, but would have the silent dual fans on as it appears to get very hot.

Although i don't really need a silent solution, as i can't hear anything over the racket my PSU makes, OCZ are cheap and cheerful but bloody noisy.

Oh and the fan is the right way round as it is.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Unrelated question,

i see the 9800GT came with the Arctic Accelero S1, did it come with the turbo mode fans as well?, cause i was looking at fitting some of those, but would have the silent dual fans on as it appears to get very hot.

Although i don't really need a silent solution, as i can't hear anything over the racket my PSU makes, OCZ are cheap and cheerful but bloody noisy.

Oh and the fan is the right way round as it is.

cheers guys..almost there now....

You sure the fan is the right way round?

ye sit did come with these two turbo fan see my gfx pictures they are really sharp spikes on them worth installing do you think? gona be too loud tho..

it is all about SILENCE!!

Reaction score
OKAy SO not this way.........

but... this way... damn keybord battry running out...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yep the second one is correct.

Will find the review i read on the Accelero S1, apparently the fans are the closet to silent ever!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Will the fan not fit at the top side of the cooler, that is on the side opposite the graphics card, or does that bar get in the way ?
Mind you where you have it is good apart from the blocking a slot issue.
Its a nice big shiny beast. Hope it cools aswell as it looks.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Hi mate if I put the fan opposite the gfx it will blow the hot air towards the gfx and get stuck there.

I think it will be okay if I leave it where it is PROVIDING that I get a POST with my memory in slot 2 and 4. Because with the fan where it is I can't put the memory in slot 1. It is so tight it just about misses fitting in properly. I really mean JUST about.

I am thinking of a 8000 or a 9000 quad series CPU. I weally hope I get a POST :)
I remember a disaster back in 2004. I got all my parts together from ocuk with an asus motherboard and a 3ghz P4 CPU I got no post at all, so I RMA'd it all it turned out the board was faulty and I opted for a full refund.

Hope something like that doesn't happen this time. I think i've learned a lot since then so hopefully should be all good :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Hi mate if I put the fan opposite the gfx it will blow the hot air towards the gfx and get stuck there.

I think it will be okay if I leave it where it is PROVIDING that I get a POST with my memory in slot 2 and 4. Because with the fan where it is I can't put the memory in slot 1. It is so tight it just about misses fitting in properly. I really mean JUST about.

I am thinking of a 8000 or a 9000 quad series CPU. I weally hope I get a POST :)
I remember a disaster back in 2004. I got all my parts together from ocuk with an asus motherboard and a 3ghz P4 CPU I got no post at all, so I RMA'd it all it turned out the board was faulty and I opted for a full refund.

Hope something like that doesn't happen this time. I think i've learned a lot since then so hopefully should be all good :)

You could always get a 4 1/2" grinder and shave a bit of the fan caseing if its that close. Youd get a cooling effect on your ram then. If you used a 60 grit disc it would take about one millisecond to make the conversion.

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Good luck to you mate. Hope it all works ok when you get the cpu.

happywave.gif

That guy sure had bad luck for his first build.

user.gif

Ask a Question